MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there just purchased a new mg zr 105 but noticed the lights are quite dim as they are halogen. Now i'm dont have a clue bout cars but have really taking an interest in doing up this car. I was just wondering if anyone could shed som light on which bulbs i should replace them with i saw osram silverstar h4 bulbs on ebay would they fit what is the difference between the h4 h7 h3 bulbs etc. May sound stupid question but as i said i dont have a clue

·
1,232 Posts
Totally off topic, but, If its a new shape ZR, turn them on full beam then look up in the air. You can now direct air traffic. cool eh?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
LOL at Technogoat ;) - Or a slightly more constructive reply would be

H7 on dip beam and H1 on main beam. Both rated at 55 watts output.

H4 bulbs will not fit the ZR The 'H' (for Halogen) followed by the respective number dictates the shape and size of the bulb envelope (the glass) and the cap (the base)

ZR standard headlamps are pants, but you can buy upgraded bulbs, sometimes advertised as "all weather" bulbs that can be up to 40% brighter, whilst still having the same wattage.

Beyond that it is a case of finding higher wattage bulbs, but potential problems with that are

1)They may well be illegal and dazzle other road users.

2)The higher temperature they output may damage or even melt the ZR's plastic headlamp lenses.

If you change the bulbs yourself DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS PART of the bulb, they have a coating that is damaged by the grease etc in your skin pores and that can lead to premature failure. Always handle them by touching the metal part of the bulb only.

Incidentally I know you are new mate, but we have different sections on the forum for different questions etc, that prevents any one section getting overloaded with questions and topics.

This queery would have been better asked in the Problems and Miscellaneous section.

It would still have been picked up on and answered, cos we all trawl through all the sections.

Seeing as you are new we will let you off this time though ;) :mrgreen: Cos one of the mods will probably relocate it for you.

·
455 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts