MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was windering if any one could help i recently bought some leds from ebay and i am in the process of wiring them up from the cigarete lighter so i have purchased a switch from maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=218983&doy=11m7
now hte switch it self has 3 conections on it common l1 and l2 so is this correct i put the live from the cigeret lighter in the comon and the other cable (neutral) in l2 and for the cable that goes from the switch to the leds i put the live in l1 and neutral in l2 is this right sorry if its a bit complicated lol
any help will be greatful
thanks

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Looking at the spec it is listed as an SP (single pole switch). This means that 1 input is the live input and the other is the output the switch then opens and closes the connection between them. The third connection is probably for the illumination. If there are any problems either contact maplins and ask for a wiring diagram or get a multimeter cross the connections and see what is happening.

To wire in your leds, take a live connection from your ciggy lighter, through an inline fuse to the input connection on the switch, the output then goes to your LEDs which are then earthed to the car chassis. As for the switch illumination well that depends on how it is configured inside the switch. It might take it power consumption from the input from the ciggy and you have to provide an earth or it may have an independent input so that the switch can be illuminated irrespective of operation (so it lights up at night). cant really tell and the maplins sight dosent give much info on that switch.

Sorry if that isnt much help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the spec it is listed as an SP (single pole switch). This means that 1 input is the live input and the other is the output the switch then opens and closes the connection between them. The third connection is probably for the illumination. If there are any problems either contact maplins and ask for a wiring diagram or get a multimeter cross the connections and see what is happening.

To wire in your leds, take a live connection from your ciggy lighter, through an inline fuse to the input connection on the switch, the output then goes to your LEDs which are then earthed to the car chassis. As for the switch illumination well that depends on how it is configured inside the switch. It might take it power consumption from the input from the ciggy and you have to provide an earth or it may have an independent input so that the switch can be illuminated irrespective of operation (so it lights up at night). cant really tell and the maplins sight dosent give much info on that switch.

Sorry if that isnt much help.
yeh i understand now i kinda new but thats cleared it up for me now cheers

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
To wire to the switch, you will find that one of the terminals is a different colour (gold or silver), this is the one for the illumination. To have it illuminate when the componant is switched on iirc, you will need to earth this, the center terminal will need to be your live feed, and the leftover termanal will need to be your output to your consumer (led's or whatever).

If you wish for the switch to light up with your sidelights, the easiest way would be to use the switch as your earth for your led's. The center terminal being the earth to your led's, the odd coloured terminal being from your sidelight feed and the leftover terminal being a permanent earth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts