MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone of you mechanically minded people want to offer your services to fit a landrover uprated head gasket? lol just ordered one and dont fancy paying even the "friendly" garage my family always goes to, to get it fitted... unless it really is a major job like. but i would much rather pay someone whos worked on the k-series vvc engine before, have a chat etc. and a beer and then i can clock up another one (or more) people off here that ive met off here because so far ive really not had much chance to go to any meets :(

also while i was at it i ordered a set of silicone air hoses just to treat the 160 for being such a good girl he he he, silicone water hoses to follow next month i reckon ;)

wont be delivered untill early next week so i wont be able to even have it worked on before next weekend but preferably august as il have a block of leave FINALLY! :D

cheers guys

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, changed my mind now on the order, gonna be a landrover HG and xpower springs I reckon :D

anyone up to the challenge? payment in cash + beer :D

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well im currently around dorset and up to wigan at weekends. from august il be round wigan mainly on leave, then afterwards back to west midlands.

but through august if someone can help i can travel pretty far from wigan like as long as i can get the work done :D lol

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Shame your in not closer to us would be able to it for a very competetive price

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shame your in not closer to us would be able to it for a very competetive price

well il be coming from around wigan so west yorkshire wont exactly be too far lol.

planning a full service, cambelt change, landrover HG fitting, xpower srings fitting, and a few niggles looking at so it would be worth a travel for a competetive price and experience on the k-series engine :D

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
prt?

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Remote thermostat kit, fitted to later Freelanders along with the gasket, oil ladder, etc.

not a massive believer tbh adamv
Disagree with you completely there. Thermal shock has been found to be one of the biggest contributors to hgf and creating a constant flow of coolant rather than the standard 'dumping' effect of the original thermostsat, etc, will greatly aid the longevity of the engine.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and where would i pick up one of those and how much? lol

all of a sudden im planning a LOT to spend on the car, well id always planned a ridiculous amount on it but never thought id get round to most of it lol

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Remote thermostat kit, fitted to later Freelanders along with the gasket, oil ladder, etc.

Disagree with you completely there. Thermal shock has been found to be one of the biggest contributors to hgf and creating a constant flow of coolant rather than the standard 'dumping' effect of the original thermostsat, etc, will greatly aid the longevity of the engine.
And this issue is such a major factor with 98% of every other engine on the market? The k-series has a fundamental design flaw. In making it very light, they had to use full length head bolts (they couldn't easily redesign this as the bores they travel through are doubled as oil returns), mixed with damp liners this causes much strain on the bolts, and therefore headgasket. Many people have blamed other things, including rover themselves, but landrover still had the same problems as rover even when using their modified gasket. The landrover gasket still goes, but having the head saver allows the head to have more chance of being reusuable as skimming the ring damage out everytime will eventually deem the head unusable.

Yes, they may all be "slight" improvements, but non of them are a fix.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Yes, they may all be "slight" improvements, but non of them are a fix.
But that's it isn't it, surely a "slight" improvement is better than no improvement at all?

Your right there are lots of other factors. One that people never mention is the inherent vibration in the engine which companies such as Vibration Free have tried to solve for quite a long time, but this involves very detailed balancing of all engine components and as far as I'm aware thery're the only company at present with the kit that can fine tune the components to the required amounts.

But that's by the by. I just don't really understand why people would spend as little as possible to get their engine working again and not fork out those extra few pennies to give it the very best chance of survival. Just my opinion.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
While we are on the subject of the cooloing system...What the fook does this chamber do as the first pump i was given on sunday did not have it..Also the new thermostat had a valve with a ball bearing on the outer edge and the one i removed did not.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
But that's it isn't it, surely a "slight" improvement is better than no improvement at all?

Your right there are lots of other factors. One that people never mention is the inherent vibration in the engine which companies such as Vibration Free have tried to solve for quite a long time, but this involves very detailed balancing of all engine components and as far as I'm aware thery're the only company at present with the kit that can fine tune the components to the required amounts.

But that's by the by. I just don't really understand why people would spend as little as possible to get their engine working again and not fork out those extra few pennies to give it the very best chance of survival. Just my opinion.

From my point of view (and i don't mean this is what i would do, just the way i see other people), spending the extra amount of cash on the PRT for it just to get an extra couple of thousand miles out of the engine before HGF. Lets say a HG lasts 40k for good measure, and people spend 300quid getting it fixed. That's 7.5quid per 1000miles. Lets say the PRT kit gets you an extra 5k, then it would need to be less then 40quid (fitted) for 1HGF, 80 for 2, n that's 80k down the line, will most people still have their car then?

It's just that for the benefits it gives, it's not really finantially (sp) viable for the amount of time most people own their car, but then you do see some people spending fortunes on silly air filters which do practically jack sh!t, if not have a negative effect on power... the world is a mess. :p

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
While we are on the subject of the cooloing system...What the fook does this chamber do as the first pump i was given on sunday did not have it..Also the new thermostat had a valve with a ball bearing on the outer edge and the one i removed did not.

it's to catch leaking coolant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts