MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought today a top of the range kenwood headunit listed above and a kenwood keg for mi motor. The keg is a mp3 player that holds up 2500 songs. Thought that was pretty impressive holding so many songs. No more cd's for me

·
892 Posts
How much.

Just did a google search for "Kenwood Ps9527" came up with nothig whatsoever

·
1,626 Posts
If you go to the Kenwood website its on there

a nice bit of kit =D> =D>

I personally am not keen on mp3s in the car as they have poor sound quality and when you really amp up the signal it sounds pooh!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
im using mp3's u just have to vet them carfuly i only use ones encoded at 128kb or higher and they sound good but they take up aprox 1Mb/min so even on a 20Gb keg u get 2000 mins.

I have had some CD's that were not very high quality campared with some of my mp3 collection.

·
892 Posts
192kbs minimum i would say, you lose bass if you go any lower. 256kbs much prefered

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
what u doing on sat/sun thinking of arranging a meet at the arniston center u could com along and we can see the difference.

I read somwhere that an MP3 encoded at 128 is the same quality as most CD's.

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
ALL CD's (pre-recorded) have 128 bit quality.....anything over that is just a waste of space.

Its only the lower bit rates that are bad....but you dont actually gain anything from having more than 128kb.....other than takin up more memory!

·
892 Posts
GIL5294 said:
ALL CD's (pre-recorded) have 128 bit quality.....anything over that is just a waste of space.

Its only the lower bit rates that are bad....but you dont actually gain anything from having more than 128kb.....other than takin up more memory!
no offence mate, but that is utter bollox.

The whole point of MP3 is that it is a lossy-compression format which means that information is discarded. no mp3 is CD quality..period

What the algorithm does, is throw away certain sounds that the human cannot hear. We can't hear certain sounds straight after other certain sounds have been played. This is what gets thrown away. The lower the bit rate, the more information that is thrown away, hence the lower quality.

Uncompressed audio, such as that found on CDs, stores more data than your brain can actually process. For example, if two notes are very similar and very close together, your brain may perceive only one of them. If two sounds are very different but one is much louder than the other, your brain may never perceive the quieter signal. And of course your ears are more sensitive to some frequencies than others. The study of these auditory phenomena is called psychoacoustics, and quite a lot is known about the process; so much so that it can be quite accurately described in tables and charts, and in mathematical models representing human hearing patterns.

MP3 encoding tools analyze incoming source signal, break it down into mathematical patterns, and compare these patterns to psychoacoustic models stored in the encoder itself. The encoder can then discard most of the data that doesn't match the stored models, keeping that which does. The person doing the encoding can specify how many bits should be allotted to storing each second of music, which in effect sets a " tolerance" level-the lower the data storage allotment, the more data will be discarded, and the worse the resulting music will sound. The process is actually quite a bit more complex than that. This kind of compression is called [_Fi_] lossy, because data is lost in the process. However, a second compression run is also made, which shrinks the remaining data even more via more traditional means (similar to the familiar "zip" compression process).

I thank you!

P.S. Don't disagree with me, cos i studied the MP3 format in great detail at uni :)

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Sorry King!...please i beg for your forgiveness as i am not worthy of such greatness!

I studied Geography......so i can read a map...aint it cool!

·
892 Posts
GIL5294 said:
Sorry King!...please i beg for your forgiveness as i am not worthy of such greatness!

I studied Geography......so i can read a map...aint it cool!
Hehehe

·
X-ZR Owner
1,120 Posts
I have to agree with Bech there. I never use any mp3 below 192.
How much did the kenwwod keg cost you Paul? I use an iPod in my car that does the same job on a much smaller scale and only cost me £200.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the very same head unit only i bought mine for almost half the price when i was in Malaysia

Kenwood European Unit is this KDC-PSW9527R £550.00

This is my Head unit almost identical KDC - 9026R MYR2000(£280.00)

·
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the headunit and the keg for 675. Not a bad deal. That comes with 2 years warranty and kenwood theft promise for a year

·
1,626 Posts
cool!

i saw it in the flesh at the wekend nice flashy unit!

And a 5v pre out is great will make a sub go boooooooooom!

So what else is going in the boot then paul??? :-k

1 - 14 of 14 Posts