MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems with my Stereo

All the lights have turned off but the radio & CD still plays. What have I done and can I do anything to sort it out.

I have already cleaned the connections on the DMask and the Stereo.

I think it might be the ribbon that connect to the tray the DMask attaches to?

?????????????????????????????????????

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
There was a batch of those stereos with this fault, its a problem with the ribbon that stops the fascia from controlling the unit.

Is the car still under warranty? If so, take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it. Chances are they'll replace it with the current head unit - another Kenwood, but without the rotating front feature, which was discontinued a few years ago...

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
It happened to mine as well... my 1st ZR had moved on and the unit fitted to another car before it failed though - so no warranty to claim from.

Its a good unit, but shame it broke with a CD still inside it :(

My current ZR came with the current CD head unit, so I have had no need to find a new one of my own.

I have heard reports of people going to a good audio shop and having a new ribbon fitted, which has also solved the problem. Its a cheap part IIRC, less than £10.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't realise it was a batch of Kenwoods, looks like I am just one of the unlucky ones. :hurt: Is their any chance that you can get to the ribbon yourself and just reconnect it? :blink2:

The problem with the MG warranty is that it doesn't cover the stereo but the car is going in again on the 09/02/04 for a boot lock change as the catch had gone, I will ask them then.

If not then I will be doing it myself, well attempt to anyway.

I have only had the car 2 months and I have been to MG 5 times with faults so far.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
There is a limited stereo warranty cover and many dealers have been doing it under warranty. But yes, there is a chance that if you try to do it as such they will decline.

Some dealers will do it anyway as a gesture of good will!

There is nothing to stop you buying the ribbon and changing it yourself I guess... just whether you know how to or not?

Someone on here might be able to advice, I dont have a clue!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts