MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peeps,
basically av been offered a deal on a 1996 mr2 turbo but am already splashin cash on the 160 with the aim of making it fast...

i now got street blaster nos kit fitted and it goes like fook but my question is how fast 0 to 60 does anyone reckon it would go with that kit from dva power (the one with cams,ecu and throttle bodies makin round 180 bhp on standard 160) along with 50bhp jets of nos and exhaust mods?

i ask this cos am anxious to find out if it is basically worth plodding along this route for power or simply buying the two

cheers

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
You will get more power out of the MR2. but they handle like a sack of [email protected] compared to a ZR. So what you need to ask yourself is can you actually drive or do you like to think you can drive. If its the latter then ZR FTW

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah cheers,ive had an mr2 before and they do tend to wanna drift..cos am new to zrs i just kinda was hoping for an indication of what that power wud make on a 0 to 60...to settle my mind not to buy mr2 lol

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Being FWD they won't touch an MR2 on 0 - 60 but imo they are quicker than even the turbos if you can keep 'em moving in the real world.
I used to find it hard when I went from a Diesel ZR to a petrol because I would always use the torque but when you get used to it the petrol is much quicker.
My other car is an S2000 and I still say I'm quicker in a ZR as the Honda doesn't handle as well

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
The MR2 will be much quicker than the 160, and what it lacks on the bends, it will easily gain on the straights. Your problem will be that they are not particularly fun to drive, drifting and sideways action is not something MR2's like to do, they tend to snap the back end out and spin, rather than it just ease out on the power. Whereas the ZR, you can throw it into any bend, have it sliding all over the joint, on the absolute limit, yet still not be scared that the back end will just decide to overtake the front just for fun.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Get a GT4, the power of the mr2 without the RWD.

AWD>RWD>FWD.

FTW!

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
thanks mate..with the mods i mentioned would the mr2 turbo or similar still be quicker than me z thou?
Yip, would destroy it tbh.

260-270bhp JDM from the 3sgte with about the same torque.

Basic upgrades will see 300 and change the turbo with fmic will see 350 (ecu + injectors advisable)

They are different leagues of power tbh.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
thanks mate..with the mods i mentioned would the mr2 turbo or similar still be quicker than me z thou?
The MR2 is quite a heavy car about 1300kilo's without checking. The ZR will not keep up with it though. The turbo will keep the power just over the 200bhp mark from when it kicks in, to very near the rev limit. The ZR will only produce it's peak power at one particular revs. It would take a lot to get the ZR to keep up on the straights.

Get a GT4, the power of the mr2 without the RWD.

AWD>RWD>FWD.

FTW!
Mid engined AWD FTW!!!!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Get one of these :w00t:

ah the pulsar gtir! :D
the old school scooby slayer lol, can pick them up pretty cheap too, not a fan of the looks though or id probably go for it lol

theres a decent one on autotrader now, 1999, 91k with FSH and numberplate L6 GTR <--- pretty damn good to be honest lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts