MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

In a bit of a quandry with my Zed at the moment. I noticed a few weeks ago that the coolant level was dropping by about a litre every fortnight. Whipped it into a local dealer who claim to have done a full pressure test and found out that the expansion tank was faulty, so replaced it.

Great - I thought once I got it back - problem solved. Until I noticed that the coolant was dropping by about half a litre....each day! Back in the local dealer today (still under warranty until next July). I'm seriously worried that this is the beginning of the end for the head gasket, although I thought that was much more of a petrol K series problem and had mostly been resolved now? I have visions of the head gasket going once it is out of warranty and then having to fork out £500 to a new one.

So - has anyone out there with a TD Zed sufferred similar problems, and if so what was causing them? The dealer I've taken it to (close to work) are generally crap and you have to practically diagnose what's up yourself and then tell them to look into it. Separately I've written to MGR and threatened the dealer I bought it from with the Sale of Goods Act etc - this is about the tenth time I've had it in for warranty work and my patience is wearing quite thin at this point.

The sad thing is I really enjoy driving my Zed. I don't particularly give a monkeys about it being "mutton dressed as lamb", the sometimes questionable build quality and the other myriad of problems as I made a conscious choice to buy a British car and would genuinely like to see MGR turn a profit and the corner, and even knock out a few new models! As things stand I am seriously tempted to flog my Zed and buy a boring, reliable Honda or something like that....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If they have run pressure tests that must eleminate a leak somewhere, but you never know maybe a faulty pipe. Head gasket sounds interesting idea but you never know. By the way you wont have much more luck with Honda's :wink: Hope you get it sorted soon m8, try another dealer.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Diesels will be Beemers fault

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Just to clarify (so that you can go into this argument fully equipped...) The engine in the ZR TD is neither a k-series nor a BMW engine!

It is in fact an L-Series engine, which has origins in the 1975 MGB (amongst others) 'B-series' engine, which was used by Land Rover and LDV to power their diesel varients.

The L-series is bullet proof in 99% of the cars - not related to the k-series gaskets problems you hear about what so ever.

Is your car by any chance a 2002 late '02' or early '52' plate?

ps) sales of good act is irrelevnet, they're fixing it for free under warranty - thats all they're obliged to do within the first 12 months unless sold as otherwise -ie) 3yr warranty.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
mine had a similar prob.it was using max/min a week.so after a visit to the dealer it came back as a losse hose clip...sorted.....NOT..didnt make any diff.still using water.went back and played hell with them...and came back as a losse hose clip.... :-k a few weeks later....still using water ...so I removed the under belly and found the sump to have a load of antifreeze on it.......there was a small hole in the back of the block above the centre coreplug.......back to the dealer........new engine fitted.....1 month later water leak....the hose on the front of the eng had been rubbing and started to leak.........back to dealer and fitted a new one.........
so you beter have a look at all the pipes and around the back of the engine befor you get the hg changed............

·
Registered
890 Posts
Its actually a derivative of the perkins engine. It has the same bottom end as the O series, M and T series. No where near similar to the B :-k

You HG won't have gone, pressure test would have shown this up STRAIGHT away. Leave a bit of paper under the car covering the engine bay, and see if there is any water leaks in the morning. Other than that, start the engine , take it for a blast and come back, look in and under the engine bay looking for small leaks, cause they add up quickly.
HTH
Steve

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Steve - I was under the impression that all of those engines had ties to the 'B-series' as Leyland didnt really develop any new engines until the 'K'?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If I was you I'd say that it isn't good enough and you want it sorted or a new car you've only had it a few months and all these problems it is not fair on you to keep going back! They must check everything and stop these problems from happening in one go! They should be able to check if everything is being ok! To me it sounds as if they are being very slack in fzixing your car! The dealer and car is not a problem for most of us! Some people are just unlucky! I hope you get it all sorted soon and hopefully enjoy driving the diesel as much as the rest of us torque freaks :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for your input everyone, certainly given me a lot more information to work with. I'll see how it all pans out, hopefully I can get it sorted one way or the other soon!

G.

·
Registered
890 Posts
GT said:
Steve - I was under the impression that all of those engines had ties to the 'B-series' as Leyland didnt really develop any new engines until the 'K'?
ditto mate. Turns out the L series is a perkins design :-k which also stems from the O and M series, and then the T series derived from the M etc etc

·
Rusty Hole......
1,475 Posts
reading this i'm starting to worry about dad's!

how many miles have you guys done? dad's is a 53 plate and just done about 5k on the miles, is this what he mite have to look forward to?? we've had no end of problems with our 75, air bag light, ABS light and then it wouldnt start! new deisel pump needed there!

·
Rusty Hole......
1,475 Posts
yeh, i know this! both the 75 and the Zed are deisels, and you can tell the difference! rover is nice and quiet the Zed sound like ti should be on a farm in difference!

plus heard the claims that B*W run thier 2ltr CDTi engine at 100 brake, rover re-chip it and run 130, so thats so, what brake the deisel Zed?

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
The ZR and ZS Diesels come in 2 varients...

'101Ps' with 240Nm of torque (The same as the 2.5V6) and
'115Ps' with 260Nm of torque!

The ZT's B*W engine was originally '115Ps' (I think) but has since been tuned by Rover to get the '135Ps'.

The B*W version of the diesel engine I believe is actually much higher powered than the version they give to Rover, which is down tuned to prevent it being any competition to B*W. They can be tuned to get much closer to the 200Ps mark I believe.

My apologies for not realising you knew the 75 ran a different engine to the ZR and ZS, by the fact you were worried, I incorrectly assumed you thought they used the same engine as the one with the problems in this thread.

Sadly, the B*W engine is far less reliable - You'll be hard pushed to find many Diesel ZR's with serious engine problems, although there was a faulty batch of porus heads during 2002 in the late '02' and early '52 reg cars.

·
Rusty Hole......
1,475 Posts
i have heard that too! but i thought it was the other way round, that rover instead of being owned by B*W they are "customers" of them and can buy any engine for sale on the customer listings or maybe tuned them back up again once in the rover factories!

after a mate of mine took me out in his skoda fabia VRS, running about 180 brake, it felt fast but not that much faster than dad's standard Zr+ TD

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
The ZR's high torque makes it a great motorway burner and great in the mid-range. Even the 101 is more than capable - but a little slower off the mark.

Yes, Rover are now 'customers' of them. Rover I believe can do as they please with the engines once they've got them, but there is so much B*W electronic trickery involved, they need other official parts to help tune them, or more specifically, be able to comminicate with the electronics!

The other problem with Rover buying the engines as customers is that B*W charge what they like, knowing Rovers dependancy on them - a nice factor in their recent losses.

Basically, Rover are trying to cut their ties with B*W, hence the later 75s and ZT's are showing slightly less reliability, where alternative part sources have been located at a cheaper price. I bet his wheel nuts are rusting too!

Rover dont even own the 'Rover' name... that is also owned by B*W and 'leased' to them at a cost.

·
Rusty Hole......
1,475 Posts
well both cars are 53 plates, so rust hasnt set in yet! but yes, the 75 has done maybe double what the Zed's done, and like i said above 3 problems with the rover none witht he Zed as of yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts