MG ZR Forums banner

K&N for general use?

465 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  andywhitehurst 
#1 ·
What are peoples thoughts on replacing the standard filter with a K&N replacement panel filter just to improve driveabilty/fuel economy/etc :up:

#3 ·
It's not really for my car it's for my parents 200 which mostly does short journeys around town, always stopping and starting, thought it make a diff on fuel etc.

Anyway it was just a thought as i have always had good results from K&N's when I have used them in the past :)

#6 ·
K&N Panel filters

I've always had K&N panel filters in my cars for ages, several Cavs, then the Rover diesels and now the ZR, they do make the car feel a little more 'lively' on pickup and a bit smoother, guess they should aid fuel consumption a tad, also never need changing worth bearing in mind if you keep your car a long time? Have one on my Rover Mini Cooper S and wouldn't have anything else on it, fitted in the standard airbox it's unbeatable (though it isn't there for ecomony...) tired a ramair induction kit on it for around 90miles and although the pick up felt better (not convinced though, more likely sounded better?) I could almost see the fuel needle drop before my eyes, from where my needle sat when I stopped at services and put the K&N in the standard filter box back on I estimate I would have lost 20miles on the same fuel on the 190 mile journey from Wiltshire to Newquay.

From experience both my Rover 25 and the ZR felt rather stiffled until their airfilters were changed for the K&N
I have heard the ITG etc foam filters are better than K&N, I only have the K&N as I'm tight and it's now on it's 4th L series diesel.

#8 ·
yeah give me a price for an ITG filter. are there any negatives with fitting either brand?

#10 ·
TrophyNovaBasher said:
yeah give me a price for an ITG filter. are there any negatives with fitting either brand?
The K&N filter is a cotton wire filter and ITG is a foam filter... the ITG Foam filter allows more air flow. The cost £43.42 inc VAT.

#12 ·
Worth doing IMO.

It seems to smooth out the carburation and works even better with a larger exit backbox.

Probably better and more effective than sticking a cheap induction kit under the bonnet and sucking in hot air, which actually reduces performance. A cheap way of gaining a couple of BHP............... :up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.