MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im kinda new to modifying cars, ive pretty much just kept them bog standard, well certainly under the bonnet at least, ive just made cosmetic changes, like customised the interior and stuff.

Exactly what benefits would I get out of putting a K&N Filter on my ZR? and what is involved? and what would it cost to get it done professionally? (Not wanting any bodged jobs that will fuck up the car!)

Oh, and does it void the warranty?

Ive heard quite a few people talking about them..... never paid much interest before lol. :up:

G

·
Open filters will give you a slight increase at the top end, lots of induction roar but will suffere from heatsoak so will loose power at the lower end and suffer from hesitation.

A closed induction kit will give you an increase in power as long as it is coupled with a decent exhaust and has had the air feed routed correctly. If it has a poor feed or is badly routed, it can actually decrease power.

A panel filter (ie one that keeps the standard intake system but replaces the paper filter with a 'preformance' filter) can give some quite decent results as well over a standard set up.

There is a lot of myth, conjecture and BS around concerning filters and the claimed HP increase. Ask 10 people with different filters and you will get 10 different answers.

I have had a panel filter, and open induction filter and am now running a closed induction set up. Both the open filter and the standard panel filter were roilling road tested on thwe same car on the same day on the same rollers byt he same tester. The panel was better than the open filter especially at the top end, but the open filter gave some good results in the mid range. I have yet to test the closed system but I am expecting about the same or slightly better than the panel.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So im presuming a panel filter is the easiest and cheapest option, because its just a direct replacement of the standard paper filter?

Im just looking for slightly increased performance, without having to rip the engine apart. :cool1:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
gonna get a pannel filter fitted when i can find a shop around stockport that sells em :( too cheap to pay the PnP :p

G

·
I got a part used, nearly new Pipercross panel filter in a box if anyone is interested? (will only fit the 105 though)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I had an open K & N fitted to my 160 for about 6 months and it sounded awsome, only problem was power loss from heat soak. I found that I lost low down power through the rev range and petrol consumption went up through the roof. I decided to change to the K & N panel filter and have been very happy with it ever since. I have noticed a slight improvement on pickup from standard and there is still some nice sound but I don't loose any power from heat soak. Also it won't effect your warranty which will give you piece of mind.

·
Registered
82 Posts
K&N Filters

I've had K&Ns on all my old Cavs, my Mini Cooper (tried a RamAir induction kit - pick up smoother, felt faster as it was noisier but could almost see the fuel gauge drop, stop half way to Newquay and put the standard filter box +K&N back on, the rate I was going I could see I was going to loose a good 15 miles of fuel on the 190 mile journey) Pick up is smoother for sure, car just feels slightly more lively. A K&N panel filter coupled with decent 'Splitfire' type plugs worked wonders for pickup on the Vauxhalls, also well on my bro's MPi 16v Metro (bascially the same as a ZR 105 engine) and my Dad's old 416 16v (Honda engined?) Rover - these both had Bosch super4 plugs fitted as well.

Most insurance Co's don't mind panel filters and don't count them as a mod (but still tell them)

On a diesel it's a different matter again, when I changed my Rover 220Sdi for a 25 (less power, more torque) it felt slightly breathless until I swapped the K&N from the 200 into it, the car feels more 'free' and pulls better

Basically, don't expect it to shave time off your 0-60, but it will make you car feel better to drive. You can pick them up on EBay for under £30.00.

·
Registered
258 Posts
if u have good cold air feeds then u wont lose power,but its very difficult 2 feed sufficient cold air 2 them 2 not lose power.but fer the pissin about u may aswell just get and enclosed kit.bmc if yer budget is low,viper or x-power kit if u can afford it.if its sound u want then go fer the open filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts