MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a wireless network installed in my house so i can now use my laptop anywhere in the house as well as in the garden (in the summer!!! ;) )
it is absolutely amazing as i had a new laptop for xmas and was itching to get it connected to the web and now i have.
i am over the moon!!!
woo hoo :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
3,634 Posts
Am really happy for yer !!! Its something am looking into doing but have no info on it !!!! I got aol silver broadband costing me £17.99 per month !! Whats the best way forward for me to get a new laptop and go wireless ????

Help please guys !!! :up: :up: :up:

·
Registered
127 Posts
er,get a laptop, then erm get a wireless card for it!

sorry, i`ve got a us robotics 125Mb router and pcmica card for me laptop.

works a treat, faster than my wired pc at only 100Mb.
you`ll need a broadband modem thats got a ethernet port on it or get a router with one built in.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
i want wireless for on rd 2
got wireless at work 4 my lap top but it had to be within a certain distance of the thing that goes in the wall, its blue tooth or some shit like that

·
Sleeping
5,195 Posts
make use ur wireless is not open for say neibours (cant spell) to access, some one near me has done that and i can connect to there wireless network and use internet now for free while they keep it switched on if i want lol

i got cenrtino on my laptop so its all good!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not sure what centrino has to do with wireless except for the battery longevity as it is a processor chipset.

But as for security:

Limit it to your MAC addresses
Change the channel from the standard 11
Switch off SSID broadcasting
Configure WPA encryption (far batter and easier than WEP)

Do that and it will be fairly secure. Enoogh for no one to bother with on a home network.

Using the firewall and NAT features is always a good idea as well.

·
Sleeping
5,195 Posts
yeah sound good. i thought centrino enables wireless internet so u dont need to buy the add on cards n stuff. ohwell

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
well as i'm moving back home i gotta go back to bloody dial up!!!! :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: :x:

yes peeps vics annoying msn convos will be back!!!!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had to get a bloke in to fit it for me coz when it came to wireless i didnt have a clue!!we got rid of the bt dsl modem (im on aol) and replaced it with router. and now i have got a usb bluetooth connection on the laptop which links them all up. and its awesome. i cant stay off the thing!!! and it cost 120 notes which i thought was ok considering that aol charge that much for their own wireless kit and you have to fit it yourself.

·
Registered
556 Posts
madnlooney said:
yeah sound good. i thought centrino enables wireless internet so u dont need to buy the add on cards n stuff. ohwell
You just have a laptop with an onboard wireless card.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A wireless Access Point and PCMCIA laptop card should cost no more than £80 as a package these days.

Some are cheaper, but any more is OTT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
centrino processors are built for wireless tech in laptops - they come with an 802.1a wifi card standard - which isn't secure - you were better to go for 802.1 b/g for security set up your wireless point with a key and badda bum badda bing nobody else can access it - you can also get a bluetooth modem - not sure of speed which connects to your dialup and then have bluetooth in your laptop to get it - make sure the sender has a range of at least 100m

1 - 15 of 15 Posts