MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i recieved my 52mm throttle in the post today and it was noticably bigger than the old 48mm previously fitted to my car.

I went about fitting it, took roughly 5-10 mins as it only really a job of disconnecting 2 hoses, one plug, 4 bolts and finally the accelerator cable. Then obviously doing the reverse of the above.

Once it was fitted i went for a quick spin, nothing brash at first till the engine was warmed up. I slipped it into 3rd while doing roughly 50mph behind a lorry to pull out to over take and the revs seemed to pick up a bit quicker than before which is great. 3rd gear appears tobe where ive seen most gains...the route i travelled was just to the local post office and back which contains a very steap road which i would normally tackle in 2nd and the car would stall in 3rd, however today it took the hill in 3rd no problem at all while still sticking between 1000-2000rpm. I then proceded to drive the rest of this back road in 5th, which the car comfortably managed whereas it would normally struggle.

Throttle response seems to have improved a fair bit, but the most noticable is the extra torque allowing you to stay in a higher gear while travelling at lower speeds.

Overall its been a usefull mod and i can see me having to make less gear changes while in the lower revs which is usefull. Is it worth the £60-£80 on ebay? nah. Theres better mods to spend money on.

This was used in conjunction with a VVC inlet manifold, a panel filter so im not sure of what gains would be seen on a completely standard engine. The 52mm TB saw an increase of 1bhp on a 1.8 K-series TF so im guessing on a 1.4 it will be less of a gain. However if used with high lift cams, full exhaust system, i can see it making a good improvement

·
the saaaaaaaaaaaame!
2,490 Posts
Well, i recieved my 52mm throttle in the post today and it was noticably bigger than the old 48mm previously fitted to my car.

I went about fitting it, took roughly 5-10 mins as it only really a job of disconnecting 2 hoses, one plug, 4 bolts and finally the accelerator cable. Then obviously doing the reverse of the above.

Once it was fitted i went for a quick spin, nothing brash at first till the engine was warmed up. I slipped it into 3rd while doing roughly 50mph behind a lorry to pull out to over take and the revs seemed to pick up a bit quicker than before which is great. 3rd gear appears tobe where ive seen most gains...the route i travelled was just to the local post office and back which contains a very steap road which i would normally tackle in 2nd and the car would stall in 3rd, however today it took the hill in 3rd no problem at all while still sticking between 1000-2000rpm. I then proceded to drive the rest of this back road in 5th, which the car comfortably managed whereas it would normally struggle.

Throttle response seems to have improved a fair bit, but the most noticable is the extra torque allowing you to stay in a higher gear while travelling at lower speeds.

Overall its been a usefull mod and i can see me having to make less gear changes while in the lower revs which is usefull. Is it worth the £60-£80 on ebay? nah. Theres better mods to spend money on.

This was used in conjunction with a VVC inlet manifold, a panel filter so im not sure of what gains would be seen on a completely standard engine. The 52mm TB saw an increase of 1bhp on a 1.8 K-series TF so im guessing on a 1.4 it will be less of a gain. However if used with high lift cams, full exhaust system, i can see it making a good improvement
id say about 4mm bigger

·
Alergic to the apex
5,308 Posts
Nice description there :)

Its hard to tell what differences it makes without doing back to back rr sessions but this is something I plan on doing in the future with a few of my easy bolt on/bolt off mods to see what gains are given (if any) :)

·
Formerly Trophynovabasher
3,051 Posts
1000 - 2000 revs???

what the hell were you doing all the way down there, - shame on you! see what the difference is at 3-4k revs :)

seriously though, nice description, good report. worth 1 extra bhp on the 120 you say? or was that on the 160?
hmm tempting!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.