MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
thinking of a turbo
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing an oil change today but sounds dumb but i wanna see if i'm going to do it right:unsure:

1. drive car so oil is nice and warm(as its thinner and flows better)
2. jack up front of car
3. remover sump plug and drain into a tub
4. once fully drained put plug back in
5. fill up with flushing liquid and run for 10-15 min
6. remover draining plug again and drain the flushing liquid and refit plug
7. remove oil filter and replace with new one(applying oil to the seal part)
8. lower to ground and top up to MARK

how does that sound?? :unsure::unsure:

·
thinking of a turbo
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds good to me, the only bit to be careful with is how long to run the engine for with the flushing fluid in, make sure u follow the instructions on the tin, apart from that, all good :)
oh ok mate cheers... ive seen some flushing fluid that either you add to your oil before you drain it or you can get a 5l tub and refill after draining oil which one would you say is best?

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts
doing an oil change today but sounds dumb but i wanna see if i'm going to do it right:unsure:

1. drive car so oil is nice and warm(as its thinner and flows better)
2. jack up front of car
3. remover sump plug and drain into a tub
4. once fully drained put plug back in
5. fill up with flushing liquid and run for 10-15 min
6. remover draining plug again and drain the flushing liquid and refit plug
7. remove oil filter and replace with new one(applying oil to the seal part)
8. lower to ground and top up to MARK

how does that sound?? :unsure::unsure:
Add the flush to the old oil :)

I wish people would stop giving advice when they have no idea..This could seriously feck your engine !!! running it on just the flush is a big no no...

·
Registered
77 Posts
or, instead of the 'flushing fluid', buy some cheap oil to your cars specification, let it run for 5 mins till normal operating temperature, then drain it...

·
Registered
622 Posts
also i never ad oil to the seal, i dry it and clean it with a rag and then screw on till hand tight, yes i'd definately add the flush to the oil although if its had an oil change recently or regularly then you might not need the flush or some people use a diesel oil to use as a flush, hth

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Add the flush to the old oil :)

I wish people would stop giving advice when they have no idea..This could seriously feck your engine !!! running it on just the flush is a big no no...
thats why i said to read the instructions on the tin :)

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I would definently not bother with the flush! todays oils have more that enough cleaning agents in them (thats why it's black when it's used) so

As you said have engine warm
turn off
drain oil and remove old filter (and get covered in oil)
wait till it drains
wait some more
wait a little bit longer
fit new filter (with a little bit of oil on the seal)
re-fit drain plug
put new oil in (about 4 1/2 litres of good oil) i recommend valvoline 10W40 semi pathetic :p

Wait till engine cools before adding new oil hence the waiting time

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
also i never ad oil to the seal, i dry it and clean it with a rag and then screw on till hand tight,
You should do.

If left dry then they can bind and 'ruck up' when tightening which will cause leaks. Also helps to stop them from drying out and cracking over time.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Depends when the last oil change was tbh...He could have some gunged up tappets and for the sake of a few quid it's well worth it imo...
They can cause more harm than good! hence why it's says on them to run it in your engine for a maximum amount of time. When you drop the oil you still leave some in.

My dad's a mechanic and has seen several engines needing rebuilding after using flushes.

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts
They can cause more harm than good! hence why it's says on them to run it in your engine for a maximum amount of time. When you drop the oil you still leave some in.

My dad's a mechanic and has seen several engines needing rebuilding after using flushes.
Well thats the first i have heard of it causing problems...Strange mercedes and audi use them with every oil change..:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.