MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there could anybody tell me what litre the pug 306 gti is? my friend said he raced one in his 160 and it flew past him?? would the standard 306 gti beat a standard 160? thx

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
shouldnt fly past should be pretty even really, 160 should take it off the line pretty easily due to weight... but thats asking if a standard gti-6 (306 gti is called gti-6 for future reference :) ) would beat a standard 160... how does your mate know the other guy's gti-6 was standard? if it flew past him either your mate is pretty pants at racing or the gti-6 could have been pretty heavily tuned, you never know racing randoms (dont condone it in any case lol)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
It should be very close, they're fast cars. Due to the 6 speed gear box and bigger engine they'll be a fair bit faster 100mph+.

Then again, looking at the power to weight ratio the zr should give it a spanking.

For future reference, it's a gti-6. Very good cars

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It should be very close, they're fast cars. Due to the 6 speed gear box and bigger engine they'll be a fair bit faster 100mph+.

Then again, looking at the power to weight ratio the zr should give it a spanking.

beat you to that one :p

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts

oh really?? well designed? like they have more lock one way than the other, due to the gearbox being larger for the 6th gear, and sticking into the arch.

Good engines though tbh, n in truth the 306 was a good car, BUT, i would sooner have a 106 rally anyday!

·
Brothers Grim
2,003 Posts
On paper the 160 is slightly quicker on take off and 1/4 times, well according to
http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp

My friend has a 206 and he hates it, he says he has never had such a poorly built car in his life, the trim is falling apart and the central locking has just decided to stop working as well.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
oh really?? well designed? like they have more lock one way than the other, due to the gearbox being larger for the 6th gear, and sticking into the arch.

Good engines though tbh, n in truth the 306 was a good car, BUT, i would sooner have a 106 rally anyday!
Yeah good cars, sadly made by Peugeot! I heard there were some handling issues where they're abit tail happy or something too

·
Registered
166 Posts
My friend has a 206 and he hates it, he says he has never had such a poorly built car in his life, the trim is falling apart and the central locking has just decided to stop working as well.
anyone would think its a post "project drive" rover/mg....... ;)

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
build quality of ****roen/peugeot is terrible... they rattle, break and they have the worst electrical problems in the world. im speaking from experience.

i love the look of the 306, very nice car... just a shame that pug makes them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why dont you look up 0-60 times and top speed? Also the race track where your mate was racing would have had electronic timing equipment giving you a very good idea. However if for some reason he was racing on public roads then I suggest you compare NCAP safety ratings as apposed to the performance of the cars as this will probably be of more use to him when he crashes into normal drivers who leave racing for the track :)

I apologise in advance if he was on private land.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
a 306 gti-6 with a decat will do an almost 15 flat quarter mile with the seats stripped, so it doesnt surprise me that its quicker than a 160 at all. yes they are very tail happy, which is quite strange considering it is front wheel drive. the close ratio box is where the acceleration comes from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
last car i owned and one sat in the garage stripped out for the track.

The gti-6 imo was the most fun car i have ever owned, belongs on a track.

Heavy car and compared to the 106 gti - 0-80 very even and after that the 6 takes off.

Never driven a 160 zr but i can see it being even and the 6 taken it over depening on the driver of course.

Quality on build not bad front to back - sides are terrible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts