MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am debating whether to change my floor to chequerplate as i have got to take the carpet out anyway and was thinking of changing it rather than simply replacing it.
any suggestions on what to do and also advantages and disadvantages of chequerplate floors would be very helpful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yer i heard about the road noise problem, how loud is it? is it overpowering or jst like background noise?
and yer the wet feet thing is manageable

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Do you mean just place chequer-plating on top of the current floor?

It'll add a lot of weight to the car and as Rob said, slippery when wet. Think you can buy fake chequer-plate stick-on roll stuff but its usually pretty bling.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I have got real checkerplate mats in the front and rear of mine. The main reason for doing this was for competition use. Not race track but lighting competitons as the checkerplate reflects the lights and gives a good effect.

Now the advantage is that it is very hardwearing and (relatively) easy to keep clean. Slipperyness isnt too much of problem as once you are sat in the car, most of the weight is taken by your arse in the seat and your feet/heels are just resting on the mat (you can always get a cloth and give them a wipe)

if you dont keep them clean though, they can start to corrode a little , but any surface corrosion can be taken off with a wire brush.

To have them though as a complete replacement for the carpets, well I think the noise would be horrendous. The carpets are not just for aesthetics but also are there for soundproofing. Stick a marble in an empty coke can and see how much noise that makes. Thats what the interior of your car is going to sound like all the time without any soundproofing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts