MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a BMW 318 that has a 320 engine in it...

Its not been registered as a 2000cc engine yet but as soon as the document comes through i will send it off..

But what i want to know is, when i ring up for an insurance quote, do i say its modified with a 320 engine in it, or when they put in the reg, will it come up as being a 2000cc so i wouldnt have to tell them its had an engine swap?

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it hasnt been put on the logbook as a 2000cc yet when you give them the reg it will come up as a 1600cc I think they are. You will have to tell them its a 2ltr. I dont know if this has to be on the V5 for them to insure it though.

hope this helps

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it hasnt been put on the logbook as a 2000cc yet when you give them the reg it will come up as a 1600cc I think they are. You will have to tell them its a 2ltr. I dont know if this has to be on the V5 for them to insure it though.

hope this helps
But in the next few weeks it will be on the logbook, so it should come up as 2000cc....

But do i still have to declare it as a modification or will it sort of count as a 320.

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all bmws are the same mate
316 = 1.9L
318 = 2.0L
320 = 2.2L (i think)
323 = 2.5L
325 = 2.5L

etc etc
You have got that completely wrong....

And you obviously dont get what im trying to find the answer too.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It's modified...so that answers your question :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't the 318 and 320 the same engine but the 318 has restrictive parts on it?

or am i thinking of the 323 and 325, or something totally different....

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to declare it as a 318 with a 320 engine to insurance, even when you get the documents changed.

Otherwise they can refuse to insure you.
Thanks, that clears things up :)

·
I Like To Disco Dance
5,734 Posts
Even when you send the paper work off it wont come up with the new engine on an insurers database as they do not sync thier database from the dvla but rather add new additions. Its all to save bandwidth/money/time etc.

So if a new car is registered it will go through when the new auditions are updated. But if you amend your vehicle details they wont sync up. My ZR is a 2.0 on the dvla site, but put a quote on it through insurance still comes up as a 1.4.

So technically people who choose to drive converted cars with no insurance would be best to declare it to the dvla as it will then come up on police systems etc as being the bigger engine but will still go through the insurance as a 1.4 etc. Not that im condoning ****ing insurance companies over as you never will. They allways have the last laugh.

Its the same with colour changes etc

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even when you send the paper work off it wont come up with the new engine on an insurers database as they do not sync thier database from the dvla but rather add new additions. Its all to save bandwidth/money/time etc.

So if a new car is registered it will go through when the new auditions are updated. But if you amend your vehicle details they wont sync up. My ZR is a 2.0 on the dvla site, but put a quote on it through insurance still comes up as a 1.4.

So technically people who choose to drive converted cars with no insurance would be best to declare it to the dvla as it will then come up on police systems etc as being the bigger engine but will still go through the insurance as a 1.4 etc. Not that im condoning ****ing insurance companies over as you never will. They allways have the last laugh.

Its the same with colour changes etc
Ah right ok mate, thanks for that..

I was just unsure so I will just have to keep telling the various companies its modified with a bigger engine.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I recently purchased a BMW 318 that has a 320 engine in it...

Its not been registered as a 2000cc engine yet but as soon as the document comes through i will send it off..

But what i want to know is, when i ring up for an insurance quote, do i say its modified with a 320 engine in it, or when they put in the reg, will it come up as being a 2000cc so i wouldnt have to tell them its had an engine swap?

I hope that makes sense.
Just think of when the time comes to make a claim. ofc you need to tell them about engine swaps and such. What a stupid question tbh mate! :)

·
I Like To Disco Dance
5,734 Posts
Just think of when the time comes to make a claim. ofc you need to tell them about engine swaps and such. What a stupid question tbh mate! :)
dont think he was asking if he could get away with claiming it was a smaller engine but that if it would automatically update when he notified the dvla

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.