MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have notice a few peeps on here wanting 6x9s and some saying they are crap and I thought I would take the time to explain things fully

A 6x9 is designed to be a speaker that can give you bass, mid and treble from one source

However as all Jack of all trades are the 6x9 is master of none

If you listen to a set of 6x9s then a set of components the difference is huge

There are some good sounding 6x9s out there, I had a set of infinity kappa 3 ways and they sounded great but they were in a designed enclosure to stop cancelation.

Also when you place 6x9s in a boot the air coming off of them can cause cancelation with any subs you are running. As you should know sound is made by vibrating air and it that air is affected the sound changes (If you have ever sung in the shower you can appreciate this weith the echos)

The same thing happens in a car

Also putting treble playing speakers in the back of a car is a waste unless you want surround

When you go to a concert do you turn round and face the wall with the stage at your back? No it would sound terribel and look stoopid!

The same is true in a car, why sepnd money making sound come from behind you? Invest all the funds you have in the front

Bass is omnisonic* meaning thet you cannot determine where it comes from You feel it more than hearing it which is why you can put it in the boot

Think about this before you buy some speakers

do you want to spend £200 pounds on components and 6x9s or £180 on some fantastic components that will be just as loud as 2 sets of speakers and sound better and have £20 for beer?
:D

(* this might be the wrong word, I have had a boozy weekend lol)

·
Registered
326 Posts
^^as he said

plus in ure car u want one source of bass and one only as explain above. and to add if u amp urew 6*9 u will get a whinning noise through them which is really degrading to ure sounds this is caused because the the 6*9 are not activly filter just what the amp can do with is crap.

practally all amps suffer from ground loop problem due to there being a common ground which has resistance in it (paintwork) this cause a 50hz main travels back intot he amp and harmonicly amplified up the frequ range to just above sub detection b
but perfect detection for 6*9's. hence ure wining noise.

with components ure given activefilters to filter this out however for 6*9 u cant if u dont want to loose that bass hence they use suppresor to suppress it reducing the sound quality.

·
Banned
1,364 Posts
another thing to mention is when using 6x9's on a shelf with a sub in the boot

now ive noticed alot of ppl have this kind of setup and most of thos epeople dont want to lose the 6x9's

right if they ARE NOT sealed off from the air space in which the sub is firing namely the boot eventually they will die

this is because in order for a speaker to work as muz said above it needs to move air push n pull, now all speakers push and pull, but a 12" sub is going to do this a hell of alot more than the 6x9's and if its a decent sub it'll start pulling on the 6x9's cones which can cause cancelation but ultimately will result in death of the 6x9's

myself im a true auidophile and assume muz is plus ive seen his kit so he knows a thing or two, element also seems to know his stuff

but anyway like i was saying if you want to use 6x9's and a sub together in the same air space seal the 6x9's off with margarine tubs or something, £10 for a tin of paint n nobody has to know u have flora tubs in ur boot!

i hate 6x9's with a passion for a number of reasons

1) above mentioned
2) drag the soundstage back
3) shite in comparison to a set of comps or for that matter some decent coax's

i could go on for ever but i wont just thought i mention my above point

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
^^^^agreed......
the system set up should be.....
fronts. a pair of good components.
rear.a pair of ok components.
rear.a good sub.
4ch amp to power the f/r
2ch amp to power the sub.

mine incs
fronts.cerwin vega components
rears.infinity components
sub.12" planet audio
amp.4ch alpine v12
amp.2ch PG zx350
140.9 db

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best system I ever heard was in a range rover

Up front MB Quart 3 way components with each speaker (Tweet, mid and woofer) all independently amped with a 12 in a sealed box in the boot to hit the really low tones

THe system sounded so real with amazing clarity and defenition

Mind you it was a naka h/a and several grands worth of Genesis amps and the MB quarts were about a grand !

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have absolutely no doubt that you guys are right and that you will get better sound going the way you describe.

Personally though,I just got fed up with the flat, all treble sound from the standard MG speakers and wanted to improve on it somewhat, but without spending a fortune and without turning the car into a mobile sub box.

I upgraded the fronts to 6.5" Kenwood 3 ways and put a stealth shelf and Pioneer 6x9's in the rear.

Other than fitting a six stacker in the boot, the rest of the ICE is as came with the car. No extra amps or anything

I can say is that my system is a huge improvement over the original setup, even modding to the level I have.

I do at least have base and treble now, whereas previously it just became a distorted mess at even 1/2 volume.

I know exactly where you guys are coming from and without doubt your systems would embarass mine on quality and volume.

BUT, maybe 6x9's etc do have their uses with some of us less purists at least, who just want a better sound than standard, but maybe without breaking the bank and filling the bootspace. :D

I spose

·
Sick puppy!
8,091 Posts
well said still got none yet though but they do make a good difference

·
Registered
326 Posts
quite right

i know they wont admit it but to be fair we all start out on the 6*9's in the parcel shelf :( but to be fair to buy a good set of 6*9 ure talking about the same price for some sub & amp package.

·
2,585 Posts
i am not teling all you guys are compleatly wrong but, have any of you got 6x9's in your car?,
i had a sont pair (was utter sh*t {could of made better myself with wood and tinfoil})

But recently i have made my own parcel shelf and stuck 4 infinity 6x9's speakers in it, and they sound very very good, in fact they acctuallt drained out the bass from my sub they were that good- so no offence to all of youz but stop complain about them

P.S. u know that i am only fifteen but i do know my stuff about audio components etc

·
Registered
326 Posts
XPCobra said:
i am not teling all you guys are compleatly wrong but, have any of you got 6x9's in your car?,
i had a sont pair (was utter sh*t {could of made better myself with wood and tinfoil})

But recently i have made my own parcel shelf and stuck 4 infinity 6x9's speakers in it, and they sound very very good, in fact they acctuallt drained out the bass from my sub they were that good- so no offence to all of youz but stop complain about them

P.S. u know that i am only fifteen but i do know my stuff about audio components etc

have u ever had a sub install? 6*9 cannot compare to a 12inch sub bud and plus real subs kick around 1400w rms a pair of 6*9 is about 350w rms at best plus the dimensions of a 6*9 cannot produce any deep bass at all only punchy.

ps.. how did u wire up ure 2 pairs of 6*9's in the shelf?

pss only take my points as a guide what ever u like the sound of u install..
at the end of the day its ure sounds so please dont think im nasty im not just trying to help :hurt:

·
2,585 Posts
yes i have had a sub install only a 10", and i know it wasnt the best , i didnt say my infinities had better bass than subs , i know u are only tryin to help but if u say 6x9s are crap i would think that u said every single speaker made in that size would be crap, they arent .

PS. and i wired my 6x9s together with a strong amp

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow
Just ot let you know i hav been installing tunes in cars for 10 years now (Bloody hell I am old) and i have had loads of different types of speakers and the best 6x9 I have ever had (infinity Kappa 3 ways )was only half as good as my old DLS components

If you think 4 sets of 6x9s in a shelf sound good you need to hear a decent install, then a good one and your eyes will poop out young man!

·
R6 Owner
585 Posts
Do any of you guys know someone called "newth Cox?"

Now that guy has got an install!!!!

Oh and he aint got any 6x9s either

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey thats a good idea!

Lets all go to T12 and see his face when he hears 160 + DB Tee hee

1 - 20 of 30 Posts