MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right im thinking bout fitting some 6x9's on my parcel shelf but i dont fancy having cables running every where . so what i was wondering was would i be able to scotch lock the 6x9 cables onto the rear speaker cables. the reason i ask this is because i did this on my previous car but it didnt have rear speakers so i scotch locked the speakers onto the front speaker cables. what would the problems be if any?and can it be done?
any help?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Just unplug the black connectors from the original speakers and plug two male spades into them is the simplest way, then if you need to take the shelf out - it is a straight forward job. Just unplug the shelf instead of cutting wires or breaking scotchlocks open.

Won't do a lot for sound quality if you are a true audiophile, but its wot I have done and mine sound OK

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry mate but that makes no sense to me at all!!!!!

moved by mustang351

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The std rear speakers in the parcel shelf supports on the Zeds have a black plug that connects the speaker wire to them.

This is a black, moulded, plastic plug and is made up of two female spade connectors bonded together, it clicks straight onto the two male spade connectors already on the standard speakers.

What you do is unplug these black connectors from the standard rear speakers, (which obviously then disables those speakers).

Run a length of speaker wire already connected to your 6x9's and plug it into these same black connectors using male spade connectors.

Your 6x9's then become live and simply a substitute for the original smaller standard speakers, only much better quality.

If you then want to remove the shelf at any point, its just a case of unplugging these connectors at either side of the parcel shelf support and sliding the shelf out.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right i got you thanks!!!but what about if i want to keep the standard rear speakers working as well?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
brettytopbanana said:
right i got you thanks!!!but what about if i want to keep the standard rear speakers working as well?
You dont really - they will only spoil the sound and distort like mad when the volume is cranked up, cos they wont handle anything like the power of the 6x9's

If you leave em in place though and just alter the wiring as above, they are easy to wire back in if you sell the car or get rid of the 6x9's

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i think i will do that but its just fitting the 6x9's into the parcel shelf

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Are you fitting em into the std shelf, or getting a stealth shelf mate?

Stealth shelf is the way to go really. Std shelf isn't really up to the job, plus you end up with daft holes in it when its time to wave the car goodbye

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah thats the problem i had with my last car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts