MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose any one here know where i can find the in car media softwear for a car pc please? just need to look at pricing it all up :) also who can help me remold and install a touchscreen monitor to the dashbored if u could pm me the price ect and links to get all the items that would be great :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers , found the car media softwear and the best thing is its free!!!! now ill i need it to find someone who can remold my dashboard ... any takers ??

·
892 Posts
The_Tiger said:
cheers , found the car media softwear and the best thing is its free!!!! now ill i need it to find someone who can remold my dashboard ... any takers ??
Do it yourself.

Aftaab001 has some tutorial on how to do it.

Give him a shout. He told me ebeything i needed to know

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've not moulding the screen into the dash - security reasons.

I've removed the headunit for obvious reasons, and have made a bracket that folds away in the space after use - all I need to do is slide the screen onto the bracket and plug in the two cables, then after parking up unplug the cables and remove the screen to take with me.

Two best software is Car Media or Media Engine - I've tested both, each have pros and cons, but I've now installed and running Car Media.

Approx. costs depend on how good a system you want, mine has so far cost me less than £200 to do. That's allowed me to budget for selling my current amp and subs, and replacing with more power :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far ive found a pc which dimentions are... 17cm by 6 cm for 180 with a 100 gig hard drive :D the touchscreen 8" monitor @ 195 the softwear.. FREE!!! now i need to buy another dashboard to remold and then the gpr box and a convertor to make my normal cd player into a dvd one too and then ive got all i need :D.. well i need the money to do it lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have a centre console for sale if thats any help, i was going to remould it myself, but haven't got the time, plus I've changed tactics as noted above...pm me if you're interested.

not a bad price for the TFT - I'm trying to prise a 7" Lilliput from someone for £100.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
no the standard centre console out of the ZR - the one which fits round your CD player, heater controls etc....

It does come with ashtray and cassette holder though :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
costed this at £500 for total kit install (7" touch screen monitor, IR keyboard+mouse in-one, shuttle pc, power converter) and £500 is on the high estimate, prob get it to around £350 if that

·
892 Posts
Miiike said:
costed this at £500 for total kit install (7" touch screen monitor, IR keyboard+mouse in-one, shuttle pc, power converter) and £500 is on the high estimate, prob get it to around £350 if that
You reckon?

Opus power supply = £150
7" Touch screen = £200

Theres ya £350 to start with.

You'll be pushing £500 for a base system, then more for all the extras you will want

·
Registered
49 Posts
morex power supply = £62 with delivery
Carnetix shutdown controller = £55 with delivery

(add them two together for a similar PSU to the Opus)

Touchscreen from ebay inc. shipping and taxes = £150 for 7", £180 for 8"

As Mark said, then there is all the extras!
GPS USB mouse = £30
GPS Software (legit!) = £300
MediaCar software = free
Windows license (legit!) = £120
80Gb HDD = £40
Mini-ITX motherboard = anywhere from £35 to £100 - I went for the Epia 5000 fanless, cost me £35
at least 256Mb memory = £30
PC in the boot requires 5m S-Video cable for screen = £10
Remoulding dash to fit around screen = ?????

To be honest I wouldn't go for a power invertor because they don't seem to be able to regulate the 12v for cranks etc, so you can do long term damage to either car or carputer.
The Opus and the Morex Vehicle kit both have built in 12v regulators, so they won't over or under charge anything.
Wouldn't go for the IR keyboard & mouse, get yourself a touchscreen, MediaCar is working on as far as I'm aware a way to implement remote control via InfraRed (any remote can be used with a device called IrMAN) - otherwise use Media engine. They are both the same software basically at code level, just different in terms of configuration.

·
892 Posts
Yup, some good stuff there L22 ARG, but seriously, if anyone is doing this, you should really try and stretch for the Opus power supply. Expensive at £150, but other just don't compare. This is the daddy.

As for IR keyboards and mice, i wouldn't bother because IR depends on the line of sight between the receiver and the sender. Go for bluetooth periperals.

Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
bluetooth is the way, but remember it's illegal to phish :D especially whilst driving...

wouldn't even bother with a keyboard/mouse - where are you going to put them??????!

I might put a camera behind the grill - then I can see how I really take them corners!! :D :D

·
892 Posts
L22 ARG said:
I might put a camera behind the grill - then I can see how I really take them corners!! :D :D
Seen someone with a camera behind their rear reg plate, and a tiny hole cut in it for rear view. James bond styleeeeee!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
i got it down to that because i have nearly all of the PC stuff anywho, how come your looking at 120quid for a PSU, whats wrong with the conerters they use in coaches to change the 12v into 220v ? there only bout 20-30 quid

·
892 Posts
Miiike said:
i got it down to that because i have nearly all of the PC stuff anywho, how come your looking at 120quid for a PSU, whats wrong with the conerters they use in coaches to change the 12v into 220v ? there only bout 20-30 quid
Regular PC bits will do, but it aint the way to go.

Mini-ITX motherboards and case are the way to go so you can squeeze them into small space, like under passenger seat.

Laptops hard drives are better too cos they aint as prone to damage as regular hard drive from the vibrations of the car etc.

A normal PSU converter will work, but will be highly impractical.

With a normal converter, when you turn the ignition on, your PC will start to boot. Then when you start the engine,the power to the PC will drop, and it will turn off, then boot again once that car has started. This will eventually bust your PC. The expensive PSU's maintain the power even when the engine is cranking.

Also, what happens when you arrive home and turn your ignition off??? a normal convertor will just cut the power....Not good. A better PSU will allow you to set the ammount of time to keep supplying power until the computer has correctly shut down.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts