MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an mgzr when i try to start it i turn the key and it just sets off a beeping sound (not main alarm) iv tried reprogramming it with the key iv got a brand new battery in the fob i have had problems with it before and the garage sorted it out (rewired) has anyone got any ideas as i cant reall afford another £120 thanks

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
If disabling the immobiliser was easy then it would be pointless having one so there is no easy way although I believe that it is possible to disable it in some way using the test book diagnostic computer.

Just so you have an idea of what is happening, your key fob has an little radio transmitter and a set of codes. These codes are the same codes that are contained in the alarm system on your ZR.

Around the ignition switch in your car is an induction coil and when you put your key (with the fob in close proximity) in the ignition and turn it on, the alarm sends a signal to this coil which 'induces' a signal from your key fob. If the code from your fob matches the one in the alarm system then the immobilser is disabled, if not then you get the warning sound.

Now there are several things that can cause the immobilser not to disarm. To run through a few of them, if the battery in your fob is weak or expired then this can cause it. Can you lock and unlock the car with the key fob? If so then it probably isnt the battery and it also means that in all likelyhood the fob and the alarm are in sync. If you change the battery there is a set procedure to make sure that the codes do not end up out of sync and if they do, again there is a procedure to make sure they are re-syncronised again.
If this is all OK then there is a possibility that the induction coil or the connections to it are knackered or even the module itself.
There is an over-ride code that you can enter using the key in the drivers door lock. You handbook will give the procedure as long as you have the code (should be on a small credit sized card and was issued at the time the car was sold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts