MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just joined this Forum and its obvios you all know your MG's.

I have a Rover 214 at the moment and Im going to be selling it soon and Im looking to buy a ZR of some description, I dont want the diesel one but the 105, 120 and 160 all sound good to me, Insurance is not an issue.

Which one would you say is the best for me to get?

Also where would be the best place to buy one from? Autotrader, Auction?!

Thanks
:bash:
Doidge

·
1,443 Posts
Surely if insurance is not an issue the top range model is the best 1 to get?? :blink1: :blink: :?

Better engine/better gearbox/better brakes/better equipped/better performance etc etc

Why ask the question when its obvious that the 160 is the best bet?

·
1,443 Posts
Oh god, ive just loooked at your birthday!!!

20th Aug 1987.

You've basically just got your license then? Why is insuring a 160 not an issue when your 17 years and 4 months old?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
in all fairness mitchy that isnt always the case and he wasnt to no whether overall the 160 is better than the 120 it might be faster but quality might be different etc etc

·
1,443 Posts
The top range model is always the best, i can't think of any car that would say otherwise.

Due to the lads age however and lack of driving experience i would say go for the 105, possibly the 120.

However im being a bit of a hypocrit as the 160 was my first car so don't listen to me. ;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i cant think off the top of my head but there are some types of cars where the mid spec is actually better than the top spec.i do agree tho with his lack of experience to go for the 105 didnt realise his age!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
well i got a quote yesterday for a 160 i will hve two years no claims and the cheapest i could get was 1900 which is stupid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can get insurance on any car fully comp due to my dads company policy, Im even insured to drive his nissan 350z fully comp any time, so as I say, insurance is not an issue. All I have to do is make my dad realise i need a 160 lol, I think I should be able to talk him around it.

I have the funds for the car as well so that is not really a major issue, I should have around 6-8k to spend in total.

Doidge

·
Registered
64 Posts
8k aint gonna be enuff for 160 m8 unless ur lookin at second hand i reckon go for about 10 and get a nice 52 plate or summin. good luck whichever use choose and many years of fun!!! :up:

·
1,232 Posts
8K wouldnt even cover the insurance if your dad makes you pay some of it :)

You've also got to factor in petrol, you'll get more MPG on a 105 as apposed to a 160.. If youre going to do lots of journeys, a 105 of desiel might be the best way to go.

·
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Seriously go for a 105 with a bodykit and some extras to go with it. A lot of guys here will tell you to go for a 160 but at 17 YOU WILL wrap it around a lamppost. I know so many of my friends the instant they got something bigger than a 1.4 the crashed it within six months. I've done it.

I have got to the stage that a ZS180 sounds like a better bet to me, the performance is better than the ZR160 at the same price but I will have more room for all my stuff. The other good thing is saving a bit of money for a 105 will leave more money for mods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts