MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the AA out today as an oil seal on my turbo has blown, and there is also damage to the bearings.

He popped my bonnet and was happy to see that I was using a K&N panel filter as opposed to a cone filter.

He said that he was sick of repairing 'pathetic boy racer's' car's who bolt on a pathetic induction filter and who's cars are sucking in way too much air, decreasing the car's life ten-fold and totally fucking up the engine's fuel and air mixture.

He said that even K&N induction kits are only truly meant for performance vehicles which adjust to the extra air intake, and K&N have taken advantage of the 'silly people' who choose to bolt one on to a tiny engine just for the noise.
Notice how on the K&N panel filter boxes, K&N offer a guarantee against engine damage caused by their filter, but the same guarantee does not appear on their induction kit boxes!!

He said that if all vehicles had engine management warning lights, anyone who had a cone filter would constantly see their management light telling them to take the bloody cone back off and put up with the car the way it was built!!

At the end of the day, it's personal opinion. But when you've had as many engine related problems as me, you start to wish you'd not started fucking about with a once-reliable engine!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
lol, thats one moaning mr AA guy, but i can see his point, im guessing the engine is made for a certain tollerance of air mix, increasing that alot cant be good

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
was the damage due to the pannel filter?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hob said:
was the damage due to the pannel filter?
No. The symptoms indicate an oil overfill by my dealer, but the dipstick doesn't reflect this.

I'm getting massive turbo lag (used to kick in at 1800 revs, but now it comes in at 2300 revs just before you have to change gear!!)

Fuel consumption has increased, I've got oil in the air breather pipes, oil on the K&N panel filter, and white smoke from the exhaust.

I have however in the past had three different forms of induction cone, and the K&N panel filter (which never seems to perform the same after you wash it) and it just buggers the car up. The turbo comes in inconsistently, I've had a high volume of smoke from the exhaust etc...

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
ZRVic said:
The ZR has got an engine management light!!!!
oops yea should have said that, it goes off sometimes if you change the manifold, touch wood hasnt on mine.

·
Registered
890 Posts
last time the AA came out to my car (never again after my experience with them) they said "how many people do you suck off the street with that thing" about my filter. Which is about the size of the average human head :eek:oops:

·
570 Posts
Just tell him to mind his own and do his job without passing comments you ain't gonna listen to. (although he probably won't be too helpful after that, LoL)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can well believe the numpties over filled the oil.
Mine went in for a service and I asked them to use the oil I supplied.
When I asked for the remaining half litre they said we used all of it.

Ok so that's had the whole 5 litres chucked in then!!
Great, that will need to come out then.
You would think that if they worked on the engines every day they would know it has 4.5 litres of oil.

Idiots.
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

·
Registered
133 Posts
that's true. I don't know where he got that load of tosh from. Resetting the ECU resets the mix that the engine takes in and preventing any damage.

I had a cone filter on a 1.0 3cyl Corsa ffs, all I did was reset the ECU and it worked a treat and helped (not hindered) my engine. If you ask me AA guys know their stuff but unfortunately car-modding isn't "their stuff"

I'd be shocked if a bew Zed couldn't handle something a 5 uear old Corsa could. llo, silly-billy AA

·
Registered
82 Posts
TD Turbo

I blew a turbo on a 220SDi (basically the same as the ZR but more bhp and less torque) A faulty airflow meter was to blame, so I can see where he's coming from there. Don't think induction kits have a lot to offer diesels anyway. From what I've heard the foam time panel filters are the best for Rover L series. I have a KN but only because it was in the Sdi and has been 'inherited' by the ZR.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What a twat of an AA pillock who knows nothing about MeMS equipped cars.

It is a self adaptive ECU which will take into account a change of air flow and alter the mixture accordingly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From previous discussions on this site, I think it was said that ZR ECU's are not self adaptive, hence the reason why super unleaded has no effect on the Zeds. I mite be wrong though.
And my fault was a faulty air flow meter.
It flies like the wind now!!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
staccato said:
From previous discussions on this site, I think it was said that ZR ECU's are not self adaptive, hence the reason why super unleaded has no effect on the Zeds. I mite be wrong though.
Not correct m8, the ZR ECU will adapt.. but it won't benifit from super unleaded as you need a noc sensor which you only get on cars like Evo's and scoobys.

·
Registered
133 Posts
cool, there's something I didn't know. So that means if the ECU is adaptive I no longer have to manually reset? True/False?

·
Registered
556 Posts
staccato said:
Adapting for air flow is entirely different to having a knock sensor to adapt for pre-ignition.

Glad it's running fine now though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts