MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A sad day indeed as my beloved Zed was reversed into on Tuesday.

I'd been to the cinema and as I started to drive out of my space a BMW in the space almost opposite put his reversing lights on.

I stopped my car where it was as I wasnt sure if he had seen me coming out and did not want to put anymore of my car in his way. He reversed out and in my direction and before I could reverse he went into me just as I got to my horn.

He hit me just where the drivers wing panel meets the bumper and it doesnt look too bad. It was an older guy and we swapped details and the last words he said to me were "I'm so sorry this has happend".

I rang my insures first thing next morning but their call centre was busy so a lady took just my name, contact number and policy number saying someone would call me back. So far they havent.

The guy that hit me rang 1/2 hour later and said that he didnt think there would have been too much damage and if I wanted to get the cost he would drop a cheque round to me to cover it and avoid us losing our No Claims - Because of this I havent chased my insurers yet.

I said I was waiting for the insurance company to get back to me but would try and get a quote. The body shop verbally though it would be around £350 + VAT as the drivers panel was done for but they thought the bumper was repairable. I rang the guy and told him this and we agreed to wait for the exact quote.

It arrived today and guess what? £674 inc vat!!! - Bodyshop said they underestimated parts/paint costs etc.

I rang the guy that hit me and he wasnt too chuffed and we have now agreed I will get a second quote just for comparison.

How do you guys think I should play this? I am not sure that not telling my insurance company for several days is the smartest thing to do.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice you can offer as to the best way for me to get out of this. :hurt:

·
3,634 Posts
Well i'd have told my insurance company !!! Take no chances !! Yer dont want to kop for the whole bill yourself !!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You appear to be the aggrieved party and are unlikely to lose your no claims over it as such.

You are supposed to let 'em know anyway if you have an accident, even if you don't intend to make a claim, although most peeps never do.

Just ring 'em and tell em what happened, the fact that a few days have passed will have no affect on the claim.

If you were on holiday for example and it had happened, you would have been unable to inform them til you got home, yeh.

I made a claim on my company car insurance, six months after the incident had happened and it all went through OK. The damage was caused by an employee who had subsequently left as well.

The only guy who has anything to lose here is the BMW driver, he hit you.

Don't let him bully you into taking cheap quotes and maybe getting a shoddy repair done - If he doesn't like the prices, just tell him you will put it through insurance and let him lose his no-claims.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You have informed your insurance company, it is not your fault they haven't called back. Just get another quote, but make sure it is from a reputable bodyshop (even MG Rover ones can be shoddy). The quote is likely to be similar to be honest, as parts will cost the same, it is just the labour that will differ.

If the guy is prepared to give you the cash, there shouldn't be a problem, don't forget to bank the cheque prior to getting the work done, in case it bounces.

If you are at all dubious of the offer, or think the guy may create if he gets a worse second quote, just go through the insurance, the guy is likely to have protected no claims, or possibly it is a company car, and he doesn't want his company to know.

Steve

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
With my last knock I informed my insurance company straight away even though the other party decided not to persue the claim :up: I always say you can't give your insurance enough information as the slightest problem they will fight it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
top advise by fly by...totally agree.
when I first started to read the topic I thought you were going to say he was now blaming you for the bump.
dont have a cheap job done, and to be honest if your car is in warranty still it will have to be done by rover/mg to maintain your warranty.
A very well known windowscreen repairer spilt some acid on my bonet on my civic, and it cost them 250.00 for a honda paint job, as I hat to keep my warranty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
if he said sorry he has admitted that it was his falt. . me dad got backed in to. the bitch offered £50 it ended up costin £1500.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
HEATHY said:
top advise by fly by...totally agree.
when I first started to read the topic I thought you were going to say he was now blaming you for the bump.
dont have a cheap job done, and to be honest if your car is in warranty still it will have to be done by rover/mg to maintain your warranty.
A very well known windowscreen repairer spilt some acid on my bonet on my civic, and it cost them 250.00 for a honda paint job, as I hat to keep my warranty.
Oi, thats DRIVEBY, LOL ;) :up:

·
1,443 Posts
4ttwo.........

I actually think what your doing is right. Is it really worth the hassle going through the insurance?

You'll wait 3-4 times as long going through the insurance. If the damage is minor, then why go through his insurance and possibly lose the guys no-claims?

He's already said he would foot the bill so no need in informing the insurance imo.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What???!!!! Mitchy, I'm surprised at you. You normally give excellent advice. You just advised him to do the worst thing possible! 4ttwo should definately inform the insurer straight away. If he does not and the other guy decides to try and mess around by claiming he was the one who got hit and not the other way around then it would not look very good at all if 4ttwo's insurer didn't know about it. Just because you tell an insurer of an accident DOES NOT mean that the insurer will then automatically pursue that claim.

4ttwo - do inform the insurer. Give all the details. Tell them that do you not want to pursue a claim yet. If this works out for you and you get the cheque then you can just close the claim and that's it. If it doesn't work out then you can pursue the claim through the insurer, and you will have already told them in good time about it. I've done a few insurance claims in my time and I'm going through another right now (yet another driver hit me). If you need further advice just ask.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys, I appreciate the advice - Today will be make or break as I am going to the second body shop that my dealer uses for the 2nd quote.

I'll then call the guy back followed by my insurers. I must confess I've been a bit sneaky and recorded my conversations with the guy who went into me just in case it turns sour. If nothing else at least I can accuratly transcribe them.

I have also kept a running diary of the events so that I can recall them easily.

G

·
I agree with Rich_b, Mitchy has given THE WORST thing you can do. If this guy decides to string things on and then gets cagy, difficult to contact eytc etc then becuase you havent persued it with your insurance company they will not pay out.

Despite what they guy said about it being his fault and offering to pay, do you have any of this in writing? Do you have an independant witness to this statement? If not then it is his word against yours and he can deny it was his fault and deny offering to pay, and where will that lead you, especially if you havent kept your insurance comapny informed.

Insurance companies are very good at taking your money but will look for any excuse not to pay out so if you give them planty of ammunition like this then you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Call them again, explain what happened and be totally honest with them. This guy may well have a change of heart and withdraw his offer then without independant witnesses the claim will go "knock for knock" and wou will both lose your no claim bonuses. It will then be up to you to persue a counter claim for uninsured loses and to prove you were not at fault to be able to get your no claims back.

Insurance companies always go for the knock-for-knock as it is the cheapest way to settle a claim. There are no court fees or costs and the administration costs are kept to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
4ttwo said:
Cheers guys, I appreciate the advice - Today will be make or break as I am going to the second body shop that my dealer uses for the 2nd quote.

I'll then call the guy back followed by my insurers. I must confess I've been a bit sneaky and recorded my conversations with the guy who went into me just in case it turns sour. If nothing else at least I can accuratly transcribe them.

I have also kept a running diary of the events so that I can recall them easily.
Excellent that mate. that could well turn out to be an invaluable pice of evidence if it does go sour and ends up with court action to recover uninsured losses.

It will be a little difficult for him to maybe deny blame, if ya have him on tape clearly speaking as though it WAS his fault.

Keep the transcripts until it is all cleared up and paid out, with no blame attached to yourself. :up:

·
1,443 Posts
Yep, my wrong. You should inform your own insurance company

All i was trying to say was, if the damage is minor <£500. I'd happily settle for a payment from the other party, rather than drag it through his insurance and risk losing the guys no-claims. That's just cruel IMO for such a minor scrape. I'd personally hate to lose my NCB over a scrape worth £500 and i'm sure a lot of you would too.

If he's held his hands up and offered to pay out of his own pocket, then why the need to go through his insurance?

However if he starts getting arsey about the payment or the damage is worse than once thought, i wouldn't hesitate to pursue him through his own insurance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well its as I thought. When I phoned the guy yesterday he said we should go through the insurers - he was still very nice about it but when I rang my insurers they unbelievably said they were too busy AGAIN and that as my car was still driveable they would take my details for a callback on Monday.

I did take the ladys name this time and checked twice that this delay will not prejudice my claim but even so, what a nightmare!

G

·
Sorry to hear that it has all gone pear shaped, but sometimes these things do when people have a chance to re-think things down. Just hope you get it all sorted without too much hassle. See if your insurers will persue a claim form him for uuninsured losses so that you can keep your no claim bonus unless it is protected, and get your excess back?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm hoping that it will be pretty straight forward. By his actions he has admitted fault and I didnt suffer any loss as my car remained drivable so its just getting the damage fixed.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Who is the insurance company you are using mate? :blink2:

I never heard of a company that is too busy to handle a claim.

Doesn't inspire confidence really..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts