MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the 1st mechanical effort ive done purely on my own, without my mate Jamie, and it worked!!! :D :D
I had an annoying tappet issue, as the folks who attended Fast & Modified will tell you, and i finally got time to pull the little buggers out the other day :)
It was quite a dodgy job, as i had to pull the cams out, meaning the timing belt had to come off.
I was a bit worried at having to bugger about with the timing and it could have been game over for the engine if id got the timing wrong. Pistons could have met the valves on start-up, resulting in a big grey mess...............As it turns out, and with help from Andy25 and a Hayes manual, it was a piece of piss lol :D

Basically i pulled off the cam covers, pulled out the cams, and then pulled out all 16 tappets. I then soaked them overnight in engine cleaner and refitted the lot back together the next day...............and it worked!! :D
I now have a fairly quiet T-16 engine, although the power steering belt is quite loud as you'll hear ;)
Also, the fans are meant to be that loud as they are wired to come on a the full 12v, stage 2 all the time ;)

Its now running great, although i think the oil stem seals are maybe a bit worn as its a bit reeky when on boost. A full rebuild is on the way however.............if i keep it (which i prob will, although i sold my forged pistons yesterday after waiting 7 weeks for them :rant:) ;)
I didnt get any pics unfortunately as i was covered in oil most of the time, but ive got a vid of when i started it up for the 1st time afterwards..............

ZR turbo running perfect :D :D :D.....................

Big thanks to my good mate Andy25 for some invaluble advice as always(lol :D), and to Fiona for passing me tools etc when i was working on the car :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Nice one, glad you got it fixed. And by yourself too. :clap:

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one, glad you got it fixed. And by yourself too. :clap:
Cheers Jamie, was a bit nervous mucking about with the timing belt etc, but it turned out ok :D

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
glad to have helped

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
instead of soaking then if you had bashed each one off a straight hard surface (open end hitting the surface) the inards come out and you can clean then removing all of the oil.

Plus before you even started you should of checked to see if any were spongy as they all should be rock hard with oil in them. You could have a knackered one and the noise will just come back.

I hope you put some decent sealant (not the instant ****) inbetween the cam carriers and the head otherwise you'll find it'll leak oil.

ohh and how many of the 13mm bolts from the cam carriers did you stuff?? being as their attached to an ali head lol i had to recore 2 grrr

·
I Like To Disco Dance
5,734 Posts
Also, the fans are meant to be that loud as they are wired to come on a the full 12v, stage 2 all the time ;)
mine was full 12v on stage1, thing sounded as if it was going to take off constantly cause it was those spal high flow slime line things lol.

A full rebuild is on the way however.............if i keep it (which i prob will, although i sold my forged pistons yesterday after waiting 7 weeks for them :rant:) ;)

wat you like, that you back on the keeping it idea? who u sell your forges to?

want a turbo ZR now !!!!!!!!!!!!that sounded wicked on my computer speakers :D :D and well done to the three of you :D :D
get one you will never have any problems, honest

·
Registered
786 Posts
sounding sweet as in the video matey! good work on the fixing side to! watching that video made me smile lots im now counting down to the weekend!!! off to wales to pick up my new turbo beast!! bought sarah's mk2 turbo!!! so excited!!!!

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plus before you even started you should of checked to see if any were spongy as they all should be rock hard with oil in them. You could have a knackered one and the noise will just come back.
Did that matey, they were all solid, cept the one in question had very very slight movement. Personally i think it was blocked somehow and was still retaining the old crappy thin oil. I soaked them all individually in 16 seperate tubs (so i didnt get them mixed up) and the tub the one i was worried about was in, was full of black crappy old oil the next morning.
Its running fine now with the old ones back in so im quite happy :)
I did think of buying new ones but hydraulic tappets should last for a long time, so i thought id just clean them up first and see how it went.

I hope you put some decent sealant (not the instant ****) inbetween the cam carriers and the head otherwise you'll find it'll leak oil.
Yeah been there as well, had some sealant left over from last time which i used ;)

ohh and how many of the 13mm bolts from the cam carriers did you stuff?? being as their attached to an ali head lol i had to recore 2 grrr
None :D
I dont think this engine has had bits taken off it much as ive never threaded or buggered any bolts from it. Even the exhaust manifold bolts came out and went back in with no probs and its very common for them to thread and need heli-coiled.
It certainly appears that its claimed milage of 89,000 could be correct :)

mine was full 12v on stage1, thing sounded as if it was going to take off constantly cause it was those spal high flow slime line things lol.
Yeah, mine sounds like an air raid siren man!! :eek:
Can be embarrasing at times :blush:

You can hear people going "Here comes a typical Rover, overheating as always" :(

wat you like, that you back on the keeping it idea? who u sell your forges to?
Yeah, cant decide :(
I want a Subaru, but i dont want to sell the ZR really. Well, i would for the right price, but doubt ill get it so prob better to keep it :wacko:

Sold the pistons to a mate of mine for £510 ;)
I paid £490 for them and had to wait 7 weeks to get them. Had them for a week and then sold them for £20 more than i paid for them :D
I want them back now tho, so might say deal is off and give him his money back ;)

get one you will never have any problems, honest
Ha! If you do it right you will prob avoid problems...............
Do it the way i did and you'll get mega problems but alot of fun :yes:

sounding sweet as in the video matey! good work on the fixing side to! watching that video made me smile lots im now counting down to the weekend!!! off to wales to pick up my new turbo beast!! bought sarah's mk2 turbo!!! so excited!!!!
You'll love it matey, its great when you beat someone who is just totally not expecting it ;)
You've bought a belter there, doubt you'll have an issues with that car ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
lol i can see its had a lot of love and has been re-built properly so i was willing to part with my cash! seriously cannot wait now tho!!! i think thats going to be one of the best parts of owning it wiping the smiles of some peoples faces when they think they can out run you!! ohh the power! lol think i'l have a hot line to you matey coz you seem to know your stuff when it comes to these engines!!! :flowers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts