MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
R6 Owner
585 Posts
Yeah get ready to swear like i did on saturday lol

And drill carefully

and dont change the gaitor, not now, not ever - thats a pain in the arse.

Unwrap the said surround

Position it where you think it should live

Using a small and i mean small drill bit mark a corner hole.

when you are satisfied it will line up. drill the hole bigger and screw in the 1st alan key bolt - do not tighten fully.

Now repeat this using the opposite corner.

then carry on round doing all the holes.

I did mine going opposite as best i could just to ensure it was somewhere like in line.

Maddsy

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Al (Mustang) did mine for me, the quick and easy way!!

He used bonding to attach it so there was no need for drilling!! He cut the heads of the screws and bonded them in too so it looks like its screwed!! Wouldn't know the difference!!

·
R6 Owner
585 Posts
Seems like a lot of hard work tbh

Hacksawing 10 screws but good idea anyway

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
ZRVic said:
Al (Mustang) did mine for me, the quick and easy way!!

He used bonding to attach it so there was no need for drilling!! He cut the heads of the screws and bonded them in too so it looks like its screwed!! Wouldn't know the difference!!
Now theres a fuckin good idea....10 pints for that man...im havin one now!!!

Tremendous!!! =D> =D> =D> :mrsmiley:

·
Registered
227 Posts
It was really easy - just take out the centre console, mark the holes, drill and screw. 10 minute job.

Liam

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
If you are going to fit it without removing the centre consol, be very, very, VERY careful you dont catch the metal retaining ring underneath the area around the gearstick gaitor. If you do, it can detach and then you end up with the gaitor loose.

I would advise, if you dont want to stick it on like Al/Vic then remove the consol, it is not that difficult as long as you have the tools to remove your head unit first.

To remove the centre consol:

1. Remove rear ashtray, remove oblong blanking plate just forward of handbrake handle.

2. Remove 2 X 7mm bolts under blanking plate, slide handbarke cover rearwards and remove.

3. Prise out switch housing for electric windows and disconnet (ignore if you dont have leckie windows)

4. Remove gearstick knob either by unscrewing (pre-53 plate cars) or pulling off.

5. Remove 4 screws (2 each side) from centre consol along lower inside edges.

6. Lift rear of consol and pull up and over gearstick. Switch gear will still be attached so remove plugs once access is gained (plugs are colour coded and have "idiot" pegs to stop you cross connecting them)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts