MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering peeps how i can get my car sounding louder :guns: its loud at the moment and too loud for me, but i was told to take the cat out or something :mrgreen:

Now i have the full janspeed exhaust system on there...if i took it out would it void my warranty??

and can i put it back on if it was too loud, and who can do it for me???

Thanks people :bash: :bash: :bash:

·
1,443 Posts
Taking the cat out (ie decat) will make the car louder as a cat in itself is a restriction and muffles some sound.

If you decat the zed your engine management light will come on and depending on the ECU it may restrict power as it senses a problem with the oxygen on the lambda. I know on my car it will go into limp mode. You would fail an MOT for emissions and if a policeman pulled you over and found you had a decat you would get in the shit. Cats are there for a reason and by law you have to have 1.

If the exhaust as it is now is too loud then why do you want to make it louder?? :?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Mitchy said:
Taking the cat out (ie decat) will make the car louder as a cat in itself is a restriction and muffles some sound.

If you decat the zed your engine management light will come on and depending on the ECU it may restrict power as it senses a problem with the oxygen on the lambda. I know on my car it will go into limp mode. You would fail an MOT for emissions and if a policeman pulled you over and found you had a decat you would get in the shit. Cats are there for a reason and by law you have to have 1.

If the exhaust as it is now is too loud then why do you want to make it louder?? :?
Decatting isnt illegal and you would have to check what the emissions were, if they were still within the legal limits you would be ok, but then there is an audio output on how loud your exhaust can be. Decatting also isnt as beneficial on NA cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You have the FULL janspeed kit so you cant take the cat out without replacing the manifold
plus you would fail a spot check emissions test which the plod are doing

·
Registered
14,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks people....

Mitchy ...LOL...yer it is too loud i was curious if i did take it out....But im loud as it is...cheers guys :up:

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
electra said:
You have the FULL janspeed kit so you cant take the cat out without replacing the manifold
plus you would fail a spot check emissions test which the plod are doing
you can take the cat out, it has nothing to do with the manifold, you would just put in a blank tube, the same length as the cat pipe.

·
Registered
556 Posts
hob said:
Decatting also isnt as beneficial on NA cars.
Eh?

Yes there is on most.

Unless the rolling road lied to me, it is benefitial to the VVC engine. Not hugely in BHP terms, but certainly in spin up.

The D16 Honda engine dropped by 7bhp (or so) when they had to add a catalytic convertor to it for the UK legislation.

So there is definate benefits for a NASP

·
1,443 Posts
I think he meant compared to turbo cars mate where a decat exhaust system can yield 25-30bhp as opposed to 5-10 for N/A

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Mitchy said:
I think he meant compared to turbo cars mate where a decat exhaust system can yield 25-30bhp as opposed to 5-10 for N/A
yup i meant with respect to Turbos :( you and your high power gains :hurt:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Janspeed told me if you have there manifold and sports cat removing the cat causes problems and can reduce your power

1 - 14 of 14 Posts