MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A girl i know from work has a 1999 renault megane coupe 1.4i sport. No mods!
I was following her to a pub we were goin to, and she warned my that i might not be able to keep up in my taxi :wohow:
I laughed at her sayin "i have no need to worry". I was confident id beat her easily as i feel my zed is really good at accellerating between 2-4k revs.

Anyway we cross a roundabout which takes us onto a expressway and she goes ahead whilst i have to wait very briefly at da junction 4a car to pass. I then follow to see her caning it big time. She abot 14 car lengths ahead.
I put me foot down, and catch her up easily until i get to her back bumper (about 70-73mph) and pull into the next lane and try to pull along side her as I change into 4th gear. When i stop accellerating past her! im just accellerating at he same speed as her! I eventully slowly edge past so i was half a car length ahead, as I changed into 5th, then she started to catch up, and overtook!! and continued to slowly pull away. luckily the expessway came to an end with another roundabout, and I then took over as i was quicker 30-70mph on the next stretch of road.

Cant believe a standard 1.4 megane was quicker than my zed flat out. :x:

Are they fast?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
should be same know of 100bhp and 80bhp versions, but if it wasnt a derv can rev higher.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I dont think they are anything special. Did you use all the revs and torque on your car? You shoulda whooped her cos once its moving the TDi can out accelerate a 160 in some conditions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i thought the 1999 coupe's smallest engine was 1.6 16v

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
electra said:
i thought the 1999 coupe's smallest engine was 1.6 16v
it is the coupe sport version, 'V' reg. Comes in 1.4i and 1.6i.

Janspeed's rollers had my car pushing out 191 lb/ft torque @ 2000 revs wit my mods! can't believe it beat me.

However she did have a good head start, but that no excuse, should of beat her (well on paper).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nac said:
I dont think they are anything special. Did you use all the revs and torque on your car? You shoulda whooped her because once its moving the TDi can out accelerate a 160 in some conditions.
ya revved to the red in every gear

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
160 Babe said:
Face it she was the better driver....lol :hiding:
:wohow: na she only past her test 2 months ago.

If we raced from the same place, like both at the traffic lights for example id of kicked her ass.
its just at top end i have to change into 5th gear @ 91mph, were a petrol is still in 3rd gear changing into 4th. Makes it quicker i think at top end.

At the second roundabout i sprinted away form her easily, as I was way ahead at 70mph. Just shocked me that a standard 1.4 beat me top end, i would expect it of a zed 105 but not a standard megane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not sure how reliable these stats are but i got these off a site for the Megane 1.4 Sport 16V:

Top Speed - 116 mph

0 to 60 - 11.6 secs

BHP per Tonne - 88

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
went out with that girl who raced me today........
TO GET HER A NEW CAR! she was pissed of that mine was faster than her car!! She now wants a faster car

.....and i was pissed off that hers beat mine at top end. strange or what lol ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
DaveZRTD said:
went out with that girl who raced me today........
TO GET HER A NEW CAR! she was pissed of that mine was faster than her car!! She now wants a faster car

.....and i was pissed off that hers beat mine at top end. strange or what lol ;)
thats well funny, wot she gettin? make her get zr

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tried that, she did consider a 120, but it was in poor condition so she left it. she wants a pug 106 GTi

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Test drove a Clio 172 today whilst i was lookin for a car for her, and i gotta say.........they r f**kin great. I well want one now!
Its tempting to think i could do a straight swap and get a 03 plate 172 for the same value as my zed.

Not sure what to do cos i do love my zed, but the clio was soooo fast

1 - 20 of 29 Posts