MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove a lot of the interior plastic bits (key holder, vents, centre console, speedo surround etc) because i want to spray them the same colour as my car. how do i remove them?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Vents just prise out using a flat blade screwdriver.

Key holder?

Centre console is not too bad. Take out your head unit, disconnect all the switches (easier to do with the centre vents removed as above). Pull off the heater control knobs (if they wont come off easily, some thin, strong wire/cord slipped behind the knobs and used to pull them off will do the job). Pull of the slider knobs.
Remove the gear knob (depending on year will be an unscrew or pull off job)
Remove cover around handbrake (remove rear ash tray, pry off oblong panel at front of trim and remove 2 bolts, slide cover off and lift over handbrake).
Remove window lift switches, just pry out and disconnect.
Remove screws in side of centre console and pull backwards and lift off over gearstick.

Speedo surround: remove 2 screws that screw upwards from just above steering wheel cover. either side of steering wheel and just in front of indicator and wiper stalks is a rubber cover. Hiding behind this rubber cover are 2 more screws, remove these as well. The cover then pulls off (it is very stiff)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the bit above the passenger footwell haha

·
Pumped yer Maw!
1,946 Posts
theres a little slot thing there somewhere, I assumed it was there for something but wouldn't have thought it was for keys lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
get a crowbar to it worked for me lol

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
shafz,^^, yep, on the left of the foot well

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats the one dave. how do i get it out?

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
if you open the glove box and look underneath the dash pocket, you will see its held on by 2 bolts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ah thank you shafz, knowledgeable as always :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one last question. how do i remove the clock surround?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ah thanking you! Ive got them all out now. going to rough em up a bit and give them a good ol spraying haha! thank you both lightsabre and shafz!

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
The clock surround is a bit of a pig, but if you slide a flat screwdriver under the lower edge, you will find it pulls off a lot easier.

To remove the dash pocket/shelf, it is easier to remove the glove box (2 X bolts on the hinge line). The pocket is then held in with 2 big phillips screws.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts