MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to chrome my centre console surround ...

I know you can buy bits for the MG TF as above but they don't do it for the ZR. Any ideas how I can do it myself?

Thanks folks!!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
its easy to do.....get one from a scrapy first and paint that one incase it f**ks up and you can put the oe one back......

·
Registered
312 Posts
Basis guide of what i did....

1.) Remove parts
2.) Clean with a de-greaser
3.) Using very fine sandpaper, rub down the parts i want to spray (this will make the paint stick easier and leave a better finish)
4.) Light layer of grey primer for my undercoat (leave 15 mins)
5.) Another light layer of primer (leave 15 mins)
6.) Spray on paint colour, in my case Trophy Blue lightly and repeat every 30 mins till all covered (then leave 6-12 hours)
7.) Laquer using the same slow technique of the colour, light coats till all covered (leave 6-12 hours)

All touch dry and done. Like i said very basis guide but gives an idea

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funky Monkey !!! :mrgreen:
Will give that a go one day soon when I've got some spare time.

Ta for the advice on getting one from the scrappy!! Good idea!! :up:

·
Banned
1,364 Posts
make sure u get the right laquer for the chrome paint, that plastikote stuff can be nasty as it takes an age to dry and can fuck up with laquer, my advice is if your gonna chrome it get it done properly with rage chrome paint or something as mentioned above plastikote is the spawn of satan

·
Banned
1,364 Posts
although that tf console seems to be brushed ali or silver and not chrome so if you wanted to paint it that yourself you could its just chrome thats a bit of a bugger to use

1 - 12 of 12 Posts