MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello names Mark, hello everybody!

Im currently at work so shhh but i dont own an mg im looking at buying one, i loved my friends new 02 plate in yellow :D . ive actually found one local to buy and im very very close to buying it, i just want to ask one thing.

I know! i know! you've probably covered it a thousand times and yes i know i use forums myself and even ive said it 'use the forum search, noob!' but like i said im at work so im pressed for time, and i need a definative answer from someone with experience in the matter...

Head gaskets,

In my dinner hour ive discovered you've less chance of failure if its a 1.4 and also you've less chance of failure with the newer improved engines so with that said,

Im looking at a 2005 new shape 1.4 ZR, how 'reliable' is the engine for this, any horror stories even though its the new version of the engine? or statistics?

To put it bluntly if i bought this car and it blew i simply would not be able to afford the repair and possibly lose my career because of it so i need convincing of safety.

I'll say again im sorry for bringing up a subject you've probably heard a thousand times and i simply dont have time to search the forum and i need an answer for the time i get home.. thanks

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
hey welcome to the forum!

I bought my 2005 1.4 ZR a few months back and needless to say im still in love :) lol Im not 100% sure if the 1.4's are less prone to HGF tho....it could happen on any car tho, MG/Rovers just get a bad rap for it.

There's a few off the forum who took out warranty on their car for like £120 a year that would cover HGF which would cost £300-£400 without it so thats worth thinking about maybe.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
As gav said theres a warranty, the AA offer one too which covers HGF and you pay a £25 excess for that. Shouldnt worry about it in theory if the car has had a good life before and you dont go above 3k revs until the engine is warm. This will help maintain the engine:) Unfortunatly its the luck of the draw with HGF but people have done many miles and never encountered it:)

·
Banned
14,064 Posts
ive got an 05 plate 105 and i have ragged it when i got it but i have never had any problems at all, seems a very reliable car and i am not worried whatsoever!

BUY IT!!!! you will love it i still do

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx

Hehe thanks for the advice and welcomes, i think il play it safe and look into the AA cover, my friends MG just puts a massive smile on my face and im only the passenger, but thats still an acheivement considering i regularily go on my bro's 05 civic type r facelfit and although theres no comparison for performance or build the ZR puts a smile on my face and thats more important than any figures or reviews..

Hopefully il be driving mine very shortly, il keep an update of whats going on!

·
sugarmom
784 Posts
Hello & :hi:

Re: hgf - ive got a 1.4 mk1 03 & my head gasket went last summer the day after I had it serviced!!! if you buy a mg, the head gasket will go at some point guaranteed, you just have to hope its not while you own it, lol.

·
Premium Member
28,417 Posts
I was going to say that two ZRs, four years and 60,000 miles on and I've never had HGF, but that would be tempting fate... :ninja:

Anyway, it would be silly not to buy a car that MIGHT break down in a particular way one day... ANY car could **** up! A repair is only £500ish IF it goes, so if you like the car, go for it :)

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Hello & :hi:

Re: hgf - ive got a 1.4 mk1 03 & my head gasket went last summer the day after I had it serviced!!! if you buy a mg, the head gasket will go at some point guaranteed, you just have to hope its not while you own it, lol.
This is just opinion and not fact. I have done nearly 200,000 miles on K series engines without HGF. If you do some research instead of listening to rumour, heresay and opinions, you will see that the K series engine was and is a very well designed engine. There were problems caused by cost cutting at Powertrain which increased the K series achillies heal (the head gasket), but these were later resolved.

There in no one definitive reason why you get HGF on the K series. Like some cars, sometimes there is a badly put together engine that will always be trouble, but with the K series it is often a combination of a lot of small things compounded at times by poor/bad driving habits.

If it was as bad as a lot of people make out then it would have died the death long ago and not been researched and developed by companies like PTP, JUDD, Janspeed, Wilcox, Dave Brooks, etc and used in a whole range of cars on the road and the race track.

The problem is that when someone gets HGF they scream and shout about it. What you dont notice is the vast majority of people that HAVENT had HGF. Its a bit like football hooliganism. It is a very small minority that cause the problems and get the bad press, so much so that all the genuine supporters get tarnished as well.

I have just had HGF recently, on a Rover as well. It was fitted with a HONDA engine! Perhaps I had better runaround screaming "HGF" on all the Honda forums now?

·
Premium Member
28,417 Posts
This is just opinion and not fact. I have done nearly 200,000 miles on K series engines without HGF. If you do some research instead of listening to rumour, heresay and opinions, you will see that the K series engine was and is a very well designed engine. There were problems caused by cost cutting at Powertrain which increased the K series achillies heal (the head gasket), but these were later resolved.

There in no one definitive reason why you get HGF on the K series. Like some cars, sometimes there is a badly put together engine that will always be trouble, but with the K series it is often a combination of a lot of small things compounded at times by poor/bad driving habits.

If it was as bad as a lot of people make out then it would have died the death long ago and not been researched and developed by companies like PTP, JUDD, Janspeed, Wilcox, Dave Brooks, etc and used in a whole range of cars on the road and the race track.

The problem is that when someone gets HGF they scream and shout about it. What you dont notice is the vast majority of people that HAVENT had HGF. Its a bit like football hooliganism. It is a very small minority that cause the problems and get the bad press, so much so that all the genuine supporters get tarnished as well.

I have just had HGF recently, on a Rover as well. It was fitted with a HONDA engine! Perhaps I had better runaround screaming "HGF" on all the Honda forums now?
Well said TBH.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts