MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
facebook.com/street modS
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently looking at changing career and doing my hgv class 2 licence (the property market is truly dead)

does any1 know anything about the earning potential or ne1 that drives for a living???

What are your opinions???

·
Banned
12,009 Posts
Andy has just recently passed his and in a new job, it is loads better pay you start on £7an hour then after 3 months it goes up, you get overtime pay aswell, the job he is doing now is weekly pay and is about £180 more than his previous wage, he has never been so happier in his new job.

im sure he would deffo recomend it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I know some-one who drives for a living. Where he works, he does 1-3 weeks without seeing family and then has a weekend off to see them... and it cycles like that. (But probably varies via company etc)

·
Banned
12,009 Posts
Andy hasnt got that far yet, he is local working for EMR steel company, but im sure once he has loads of experience he will go onto the longer journeys

·
facebook.com/street modS
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy has just recently passed his and in a new job, it is loads better pay you start on £7an hour then after 3 months it goes up, you get overtime pay aswell, the job he is doing now is weekly pay and is about £180 more than his previous wage, he has never been so happier in his new job.

im sure he would deffo recomend it.
how hard was it??

around here im looking at £9+ per hour but thats alot of london driving too

·
facebook.com/street modS
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the test?? im looking at a 4 day course for 995 of if i take the artic too its £1300

·
Registered
160 Posts
My mate works for booker wholsale who supply goods to local shops and he delivers all the goods to the shops and hes on £14 ph only had his licence 14 month.

·
Banned
12,009 Posts
the test?? im looking at a 4 day course for 995 of if i take the artic too its £1300

tbh, the test was hard. Andy had borrowed some cd-rom discs like hazard awareness, and test questions and he revised every day for 4 weeks, when he got to the test centre he had different some harder questions, but he did it,

i shall get him to PM you with more details hun if thats ok?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
my dad is a hgv driver...seems to be doing quite well...he drives a lexus...has his own truck and trailer..and a motorbike so it cant be too bad pay if u ask me!!

·
7,920 Posts
Best bet is to get into the Haz - Chem side of HGV, my mate does it and gets reasonable money

·
Banned
12,009 Posts
Andys started off with quite an old truck but after 3months he will get a brand new truck, and they are decent sized trucks aswell...:D

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
yeah my dad started off wi an old truck but now he has a very nice one! must be all the hard wk! lol

·
7,920 Posts
my mates dad has his own business. my mate has only been driving HGV's for 1 month, he has just passed his Hazardous Chemicals course, and his dad who owns the business has just bought him a 65k truck!

·
Banned
12,009 Posts
yeah my dad started off wi an old truck but now he has a very nice one! must be all the hard wk! lol
lol yer it must be, saying that most days when he has gone back to the yard he is sitting in the canteen for some time before clocking out, having a laugh with the other chaps. lol.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
oh yeah without a doubt....but most of the time wen ur in ur truck is waitin to get unloaded anyway apparently!! so must be bit borin at times!!!

·
facebook.com/street modS
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah get him to pm me if poss i really wana do it +

·
Banned
12,009 Posts
or waiting for them to come and fix you're flat tyre!

yes, he had a flat tyre earlier just as he was pulling out of a place, and he had to wait for someone to come out to him lol.

no probs AL

·
2,039 Posts

Do the Class 1 test..........will be more options open to you and it pays more !!

You can make good money if you get on a firm like Tesco, but bear in mind that there are loads of Class 1 drivers working for ****e money too.

Unfortunately experience counts for lots, so you may have to start on crappy cash first.

·
Drunken Monkey
7,288 Posts
best of doing your class 2 but then straight on to doing your class one ADR (chemicals) thats where the money is...not much money in class 2 at the mo (although it depends where you live) as a lot of companies are going bust, due to the rise in fuel price.

but yeah probably worth doing if youve got the money to do your class one and your adr aswell :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts