MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. can someone please save my sanity? i have a 1.4 trophy. last week the clutch cable snapped, so i got a replacement from euro parts. no matter what i did i could not engage the clutch. it appeared that the cable was too long and the self adjuster was doing nothing. in desperation, having read the stuff about aftermarket cables i ordered one from rimmers. its identical to the one that snapped. however, i have the same issue. the clutch just will not pull far enough to go into gear. the change was perfect before the original cable snapped, so i have discounted pedal height etc. WHAT AM I MISSING??
is there something secret that i should be doing??
i should add that the cable is not clipped to anything at the moment, but it never was. there are no obvious points to clip it to, so how should it be routed?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
506 Posts
Are you sure wasn't a clutch failure that cause the cable to snap. you can't really go wrong fitting a new cable as you say it self adjusting as long as it's the same length and not one for a different gearbox etc should work fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
thanks for the reply
no the clutch is fine. i drove the car home when the cable failed, with no slipping or strange noises. the new cable is identical to the failed one. i'm wondering if its a routing issue. when depressing the clutch both the inner cable (attached to the cluch arm) and the outer spring both move. you can see the movement back towards the bulkhead, but it just goes in and out. i am assuming the outer cable should lengthen somehow, to shorten the inner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts