MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Help....

I have a R214si as well as the z'd but the starter motor went this morning.... bought a new one of ebay (Garages charging upto £200)... but how easy is it to fit? Any advice which may help would be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Not actually fitted one to the Zed, but one piece of advice I can give, is to make sure you isolate the battery FIRST, before messing with the old one. Reconnecting the battery should also be the last job after replacing the motor.

There is usually a live feed goes straight to the starter motor from the battery and unless you are into fireworks and engine bay fires you wouldn't want it sparking if it earths out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quality, the battery was on my mind but wasnt too sure with the alarm/imbo thingy which this car has... (the std rover one that has a mind of its own)... It looks easy, but then so does a rubix cube.....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Should be OK mate - just take the earth lead off the battery and fasten it outta the way so's it can't slip back on to the battery pole.

The alarm should still be OK as long as it was turned off 1st before doin' that.

G

·
Easier to do from underneath the car than trying to go over the top. Only 3 bolts, but be careful when removing the big red live cable as it is permanantly live without a fuse so if you touch anything with it, be prepared for big showers of sparks and the possibility of a knackered battery. best bet (as with any electrical work) is to disconnect the battery first (or at least the earth)

·
989 Posts
yeah i changed mine 3 times last week... just jack the car up and its 3 bolts .... you might have to take the airbox out to do the top bolt but even so its easy, dont get a garage to do it.

charge you daft prices.

it can take about 20 mins if you know what ur doing.... i changed 3 in a hour ( all 3 out of the scrap yard didnt work !!!)

bastards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts