MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rite this is starting to do my nut in now like. :x: :wallb:

When Im sitting in the car with the engine ideling it seems to stutter every couple of seconds... its asif its going to stale but doesnt.

it started hapening a few weeks ago and was doing it once or twice a hour... but now its every couple of seconds...

what do you think is wrong with it .. its as if the engine is choked up. any idea how i can cure this.

Cheers people and :xmas:

G

·
Could be a number of things from a dodgy airflow sensor to plugs/leads. If it is under warranty still, get your dealer to shove it on the diagnostics

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
na it aint under warenty ...

a mate suggested spark plugs or ht leads.... would a fault one of these cause this problem...

its doing me head in now im gonna have to spend sum cash at the f**kin garage before crimbo aint i ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
usually loud bangs out the exhaust - if you are doing the fix yourself start with replacing spark plugs and leads if it still does it you may want to take it in to mg and get it checked or serviced (could try cleaning your air filter maybe)

G

·
Have you changed anything recently (filters, where you get your fuel, plugs etc?)

Plugs are a good point to start with but make sure you get the right ones and you will need a 'special' plug spanner to get to them as they are between the banks of valves and set very deep (make sure there is no crud in there either than can drop into the cylinder when you take the plugs out)

Before ditching them have a good look at the colour as that can be a good indication of engine health. Black and sooty-too rich. Black and wet-burning oil, white-running too hot/lean, grey to biscuit brown- good health.

The plug leads are a different matter as the ZR uses a ditributor/coil less system and the coils are in the head. Pretty much solid state so not a lot to go wrong.

Other reasosn for rough running can be induction leaks so check that all the hoses to the head and plenium chamber are in good nick and none are broken/disconnected.

Disconnect the plugs to the airflow/ignition system etc at the break points and make sure that there is no muck or moisture in there and that the contacts look bright and clean as often these can give a high resistance and so a poor/wrong signal to the MEMS

·
Registered
24 Posts
may be the idler

Try turning the ignition on (dont start car)

Pump the accelarator 10 times up and down (not fast) then turn the ignition off and wait 10 seconds

Start the engine

Any luck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
a misfire is when the engine shakes and shudders at idle or under load you really need to take it in to the garage and get it checked out as said before when did you last have it serviced what milage have you got on the car have you had your plugs changed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts