MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Picked up my first ZR yesterday, hopefully a stop gap for a few months

Cost me £400! runs and drives, head gasket has been changed fairly recently, has a host of electrical issues including non working sunroof, driver window, heat control knob does not turn properly, passenger door is deadlocked and central locking seems to be non existent
😂

It’s the 1.4 (105) model! With 80k miles

MOT for a few months and doesn’t look too bad just needs a clean!
Car had been sat for 6 months so yes I am charging the battery!
😅

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can go about fixing most of the issues, I have already done simple checks like fuses and they all look fine!

Would really like to get the passenger door open!

Cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) Looks A tidy ZR :) I hope you can find answers to all current and future questions here, although you will probably have to search the forum as there are only a couple of us who seem to be active nowadays.

Your central locking problem will almost certainly be one of the five double relays in the Pektron Security control Unit (SCU) which is located behind the air conditioning evaporator at the back of the centre console. If the car has air con fitted, it is a bit of a rave to get it out. If no air con; the evaporator housing can be easily removed to gain access. Replacement relays are available from technozen electronics. He is also on eBay, and there is a very informative thread about the Pektron SCU, its faults and foibles, and what to repair/replace over on mg-rover.org. There is also a very good vid on YouTube showing the entire removal process and the replacement of the relays (very simple to do even if you only have basic soldering skills, a soldering iron, a desolder pump or braid and good eyesight!). Vid is here.

Non working drivers side window is also highly likely to be a failed relay in the SCU.

Heater control knob - if it is very stiff to turn is possibly a seized heater valve (located in the engine bay near the bulkhead between engine bay and passenger cabin); or if it is very loose it may be that the plastic tube of the knob has split so it no longer grips the metal shaft of the control unit behind it. This would need the knob replacing.

Not sure about the sunhatch - may be a blown fuse, faulty switch, failed motor, or simply a wire disconnected or damaged?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally I would make sure you keep as it WILL be a future classic . Also great car very tidy . Look for help on this forum in regards to your electrical problems they are great people . 👍🏻

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum :) Looks A tidy ZR :) I hope you can find answers to all current and future questions here, although you will probably have to search the forum as there are only a couple of us who seem to be active nowadays.

Your central locking problem will almost certainly be one of the five double relays in the Pektron Security control Unit (SCU) which is located behind the air conditioning evaporator at the back of the centre console. If the car has air con fitted, it is a bit of a rave to get it out. If no air con; the evaporator housing can be easily removed to gain access. Replacement relays are available from technozen electronics. He is also on eBay, and there is a very informative thread about the Pektron SCU, its faults and foibles, and what to repair/replace over on mg-rover.org. There is also a very good vid on YouTube showing the entire removal process and the replacement of the relays (very simple to do even if you only have basic soldering skills, a soldering iron, a desolder pump or braid and good eyesight!). Vid is here.

Non working drivers side window is also highly likely to be a failed relay in the SCU.

Heater control knob - if it is very stiff to turn is possibly a seized heater valve (located in the engine bay near the bulkhead between engine bay and passenger cabin); or if it is very loose it may be that the plastic tube of the knob has split so it no longer grips the metal shaft of the control unit behind it. This would need the knob replacing.

Not sure about the sunhatch - may be a blown fuse, faulty switch, failed motor, or simply a wire disconnected or damaged?
been a few weeks now getting on with the car fine, still need to try and get this BCU out and take a look at it, still been unable to open the passenger side door unfortunately!

found the drivers window to be a broken regulator, the switch works which is good so just need to replace the regulator which looks like a bit of a pain :D

sunroof I checked fuse and all good, can’t hear any power going to the switch so not sure, doesn’t look rusty though so I’m tempted to keep it closed! 😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I would make sure you keep as it WILL be a future classic . Also great car very tidy . Look for help on this forum in regards to your electrical problems they are great people . 👍🏻
yeah I think it’s been a good car for £400 even if it only lasts be the next 5-6 months, hoping I can fix the current issues so I wouldn’t fail the MOT but I’ve got a few months yet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts