MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought one of the £37 quid hid kits from ebay one of the Helligkeit ones, as is says on that box :S

but anyway, i'm really really stuck with it, i've watched videos on fitting the HID kits and the ones there fitting seem to be sooooo much more simple than the one i've got.

Obviously i know to take out my existing bulb.
Fit the Xenon bulb.
Mount The Ballast.

This is where i get really stuck. Theres a red and black spade connector attacked pretty close to the bulb. where do they go? :(

and also how do i give power to the Ballasts? Sorry if i seem like a total idiot i'm usally pretty good with things like this it's just the kit it totally different fitting it seems to the ones i've been researching.

any help would be massivly aprichiated.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
The ballast should have 2 sets of wires. 1 set is the set that goes to the HID bulb and the other set you connect to the car wiring to power the ballasts.

A picture of the kit and wires and/or the wiring diagram would help otherwise almost impossible to give useful advice.

Most of the decent kits I have seen use the original wiring to the bulbs to power the ballasts and have the right connectors so you dont have to go chpping or slaving any wires.

Some kits dont use this method and rely on a relay (see what i did there) to power the HIDs. Without seeing your kit or the wiring diagram it is impossible to know

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the instructions are an absolute joke. the diagram is literally a picture of a bulb and a picture of a ballast box and two wires. it's no real help at all. i'm right stuck with it :S :(

·
Fake Bans FTW!!!
1,482 Posts
get pics up of the kit

·
Registered
53 Posts
The spades should go in the existing loom that went into the existing bulb ????? This is how the HID's get part of there power ????

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
The spades should go in the existing loom that went into the existing bulb ????? This is how the HID's get part of there power ????
Some do some dont depending on the make. Some need an independent supply controlled by a relay and the relay is triggered by the original wiring with the HIDs being plugged into the relay

Some (like mine from Hella) plug into the original wiring for the lights.

Need to see the wiring diagram (no matter how daft) and all the wiring/connectors for the HIDs

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
just got mine delivered today but wont be fitting them till next sat as i will have loads fo stuff to go on

·
aka 25inprogress
7,940 Posts
right mate they just plug straight into the standard wiring, the red will go to the black wire and the black to the yellow.

lightsabre, stop trying to be almighty and knowledgable to confuse the guy. there a cheap set of HID's of ebay they all wire up the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some do some dont depending on the make. Some need an independent supply controlled by a relay and the relay is triggered by the original wiring with the HIDs being plugged into the relay

Some (like mine from Hella) plug into the original wiring for the lights.

Need to see the wiring diagram (no matter how daft) and all the wiring/connectors for the HIDs
Haha hes fine !!!

Im not that clued up on them either i have seen some different setups, my kit is the helligkett - they just plug into the existing wiring, piece of lemon :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fitted a set in the wife's zr 15min max,

Best way to do it, is to lay the kit out on the floor so you get to see where it all fits together,

the way mine works is;
1) new bulbs in
2) attach to ballast then there is a link cable from one ballast to the other one,
3) on mine you only need to connect one of the headlights back in as it takes a feed to power on the other one (link cable,) so you will have a light connector hanging loose doing nothing,
4) earth both ballast, then wire to mains,
5) start car, turn light on, and sit back and look how good they are.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
right mate they just plug straight into the standard wiring, the red will go to the black wire and the black to the yellow.

lightsabre, stop trying to be almighty and knowledgable to confuse the guy. there a cheap set of HID's of ebay they all wire up the same.
pardon me for trying to help someone not fry their electrics.

They dont all wire up the same as I have found out with more than a few people PMing me for help. Check out Shafz pic against that of Help2003's. I have seen different types of sets as well

Obviously you know far better than I, so I bow to your vast knowledge and will keep my trap shut in future and let you sort it all out for them.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
id listen to light sabre, he seems to know his sh!t when it comes to electrics and lights

No no no no I dont know anything. I make it all up as I go along and have absolutely no expeience or knowledge. Please dont anyone ever listen to me about anything ever again.

I have finally been found out

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
ahhh sabre, it had to happen sooner or later, so all your light on your car, are they just secretly placed torches with differnt coloured filters haha
Not even that, its all photoshopped from other peoples cars and sites.

I dont even have a zr!

in fact I dont even have a car

1 - 20 of 28 Posts