MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a great weekend away, got drunk, had a few laughs, even met Slobbodan while shopping at Tesco!

Saturday Night...Beach Party....stupidly had my key (and fob) in my jacket pocket. Following a few beers round the fire it was suggested i race a mate...clearly i failed to remove my key and lost it in the ocean forever!

Locksmith came on Sunday and could not disable the immobiliser...towed to portsmouth...re towed to Epsom....Epsom motor group currently working on the car (which is full of camping equipment and smelly clothes). I have been quoted £150 to get a new fob delivered and programmed. if this does not work I will have to fork out £600 for a new alarm ecu....what a **** holiday

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only came with one fob when i bought the car, hadn't got round to getting a new one. Clearly the spare key is useless without the fob

·
Formerly Trophynovabasher
3,051 Posts
jeez man thats tough luck!

what beach was it? i'll send the folks down with a metal detector!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol it was in Bembridge, Whitecliffe Bay.... I have given up hope now although my mate who works there said he will have one more look (using it an excuse to check the talent at the beach cafe)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Only came with one fob when i bought the car, hadn't got round to getting a new one. Clearly the spare key is useless without the fob
if you have just a key you can get into the car you just need to know the security code or something

·
Slow Window TBF!
788 Posts
Ah gutted to hear that mate! Was goood to meet u, 1st time i have met another forum member i dont already know in person :D. Lucky i didnt try and organise a meet for sunday, let me know when u next come down. Hope u had a good time apart from the trouble with the car!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone no the code? they haven't mentioned anything like that.... quoted me 150 for fob and apparantly if it doesnt work the new alarm ecu will cost 530?

·
Rover Owner
3,488 Posts
You'd be better off buying a second hand ECU, 5AS and fob set off of ebay. That'll set you back about £50 and have your car working again. Perhaps suggest this to the garage who are quite happy to remove your life savings form you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the round fob (which I know are known for being difficult to disable the immobilser) would a fob off ebay even work?? i know i can get a cheaper ecu so i dont think il approve that one

·
Registered
64 Posts
the code might be hidden loosely in your manual somwhere. Mine is on a piece of card like a credit card shape. you have to use the key in the door by turning it backwards slightly in tune with the code and it overides the Immo. then you can reset your fob with the car by pressing it four times in quick succession.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts