MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
^buy meeeeeeeee^
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically after fitting my avos i have noticed its a faair bit higher on the front,

i was told that its not un comman for the front springs to be heated up, apparently its done with them still on the car so the wieght takes effect .

other than this i have no idea .

so yep , any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
14,041 Posts
i was thinking about that for the rears , the ottom 6 or so rings are all same size and shape so should be safe.
cut the bumpstops down a fair bit :)
i think i am right in saying that cutting springs is very very very dangerous
am i right?

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Word to the wise from a grumpy old git.......

Don't try to be cheap when dealing with your suspension. If you 'bodge' it by either cutting springs or heating springs, etc then you'll end up with a completely unpredictable ride & handling set-up and could make your car potentially dangerous.

If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all!

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
Word to the wise from a grumpy old git.......

Don't try to be cheap when dealing with your suspension. If you 'bodge' it by either cutting springs or heating springs, etc then you'll end up with a completely unpredictable ride & handling set-up and could make your car potentially dangerous.

If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all!
You got that right ;) (heres your pipe and slippers
)

But seriously :lttd:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I thought suspension springs were tempered? (Removal of residual stress fatigue once under load)
They are and the stiffness of the material is altered by repeated heating and quenching (sometimes in oil to reduce the cooling effect). If the metal is annealed too much it loses it elasticity and becomes too malleable (think of something like coat hanger wire).

I am not going to start to get into materials and structure and metallurgy (something I used to lecture on at university), it is a massive subject. You also have to consider that alloys and even things such as shot blasting the springs to add a thin layer that is work hardened and corrosion resistive.

At the end of the day, a spring for a car is designed to support the weight of the car and to allow a certain suspension travel. Some springs (like x-powers and the later red avos) are progressively wound so that as they compress they progressively get stiffer. Cutting a spring means there is less material to support the same weight, so the spring becomes overstressed and so can fail or fracture without warning.

The same thing happens as well with heating a spring. It will change the material properties and affect the capabilities, again allow stress fracture, stress corrosion, reduced (or just as bad increased) stiffness and early catastrophic failure.

My advice is to leave well alone and fit the right springs for the job rather than bodge a set.

·
^buy meeeeeeeee^
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im happy with them as it stands , but would just like the front a bit lower..

so with regards to heating them i was considering heating then letting them set, then re treating them . although i obviously wouldnt get them to what they should be it would still be better than just heating and leaving them.

i can understand wer light sabres coming from as i work body and white prototype so all custom metal work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.