MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey up.

Bought myself a branny MG ZR which I picked up yesterday. Nice motor.. pearl black.

Just been back to the dealers with it as after 24 hours there seems to be condensation inside the front lamp housings [both sides]. There were only 2 salesmen there who didn't look at the "problem" but stayed inside and agreed with each other that "it happens at this time of year". They said I could pop back tomorrow and have it looked at.

It has been hailing and sleeting all day here, so it's been wet yeah.

My question is.. is it really normal? Both lamp housings have very similar amount of condensation. Will this cause my lamps to blow prematurely?

I'll be going back tomorrow but would like advice in advance, just in case this is normal after all.

Two pics here if it helps....?

Cheers.

·
892 Posts
I know some poeple have had this problem before. It has never happened on mine tho.

not really sure what cuases it though. im sure someone will enlighten you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bech - I'll wait and see, altho I WILL pop back to the dealer tomorrow as just 8 mins ago it seems to have cleared a little. This probably means it only manifests itself when the lights have been in use.. ie heating up whatever is in there.

Thx again for the reply.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It's caused by the heat of yer headlights ...as they've never bin used before ...there is a "New" film on the inside of the glass...which "Attracts" moisture..the lights warm up the inside & condensation forms

The more you use the headlights the quicker the condensation will dissappear ...eventually it won't occur at all ......

mine did it fer bout 2 weeks when i first got it +it don't help it being so damn cold outside

it's nowt to worry about .......Honest !!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had this with the fog lights on my gti. Leave the lights on with main beam and the condensation will dissapear. It might return though. The heat from the lights gets rid of the condensation

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
the lights should have been constructed in a non moist atmosphere, a solution that i could think of, (correct me if wron) is to get those silica bags (like you get with new cameras etc) heat it up (if been used) and bung them im overnight, and remove in morning (dry morining) should remove the water vapour :D

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
ccars008 said:
thats that seady stuff you get with electronic stuff that eats the moist up.
yea but you have to heat it up again, as by the time it arrives it will have allready have reacted with the water, heating causes the reaction to give off water and become re-useable, i belive.

·
1,232 Posts
Mine still has condensation on the lights 24/7 4 months later.. Its even gone down to the indicators now (though they actually look quite cool) :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks everyone for your input.

Been back to the dealers again this morning and apparently it's a known problem with ZRs built since September. Rover are issuing a statement next week 'probably' followed up by a recall. Apparently it's something to do with the new plastic visor membrane (eh?) fitted to the inside of the 'glass'.. prevents a perfect seal during bonding.

They are gonna call me with Rover's decision.

So, thanks everyone for your time and efforts. :up:

Man, I love this car :mrgreen:

·
Registered
326 Posts
okim counting that 2 recalls ive togoin for now

faults so far

1) remote boot trying toopen with wipers
2 ) dodgy headlamps the smoke up
3) dodgy passenger side soleniod

yoo close to christmas to get them fixed probally wait till after the jan meet

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TechnoGoat said:
Don't forget to post the result here :)
Don't worry.. I'll be in this forum more than you'll know (hopefully not to report or read problems) :wohow:

:xmas:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TechnoGoat said:
Great choice of colour btw ;)
Did you get the 17"s, sideskirts & bumper extensions as well?
Err.. I chose Black 'cos it looked nice. What's a 17"s??? Alloy wheels? If so, then yes it got alloy wheels. I saw mention of bumper extensions on this forum but dunno wtf they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts