MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well looks like i have joined the hgf crew not to bad cars just turned over to 57,000!! had a garage quote me last night said i've caught it early no water in oil just leaking out the side of the block, i'm a bit lost tho as head said when the head is stripped it will need a skim top mate it all back, i've been looking at the uprated gasket set from ptp which says it includes a skimmed gasket does that mean i wouldn't need the head skimming if i used this kit? http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/8_147...asket_set_-_inc._shimmied_head_gasket.htmmean

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Rightio.

For a start you can get all of those gaskets direct from a Rover parts dealer for cheaper than that.

Your head will not neccesarily need skimming, it is only required if it is warped. A garage will only be able to check this when the engine is apart.

That gasket is a lot more forgiving than previous gaskets, its called a 'shim' gasket. It will not prevent a head from needing skimming, it is just a much better gasket than any made previously.

Hope that helps a wee bit.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
nasty is right shop around for parts and get all new parts dont bother trying to save money buy not geting head bolts.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh right i get it, well i said that to the bloke about not defo needing it skimming unless the head is warped he replied it will need the head skimming as when you strip it back the alloy head is bent and will not match back up when its all fitted back together!

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
Well he's talking balls then and doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

You can only tell if the head is warped when its all apart, and its only if its warped that it needs skimming.

Some people have this mad obsession with the k-series that because the head gasket goes that it needs skimming, this IS NOT TRUE.

I'll stop ranting now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol ok cheers for clearing that one up he's ringing me back tonight to give me a fitted quote plus a skim quote i shall mention it again and see what he says! other than all the gaskets mentioned in that link and the head bolts is there anything else i need as i said i would get the parts myself

·
Premium Member
15,237 Posts
If you're doing it properly then it would probably be best to do the belts and water pump at the same time.

Personally I rate the PRT thermostat kit too, just depends how far you want to go and how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well just been out and got everything i needed plus a new cambelt kit! 285quid all together! ouch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts