MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone on here has had to have their head gasket replaced yet. coz i'm now thinking of buying a zed coz mines gone for the 2nd time in a year and i'm fed up with rovers crap engine design

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Its rare to hear of a ZR head gasket failure as they changed the design just before the model was released. Of course if you treat your car like crap and dont watch oil and water levels like any car it is possible.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This is the 1st time i have heard of a ZR with head gasket failure. Its not the head gasket that is the problem. Its when another part of the cooling system goes wrong. The K-Series is just not very good when running with low or no coolent.

Things that cause it to go are water filler cap not holding presure, water pump leaking water, thermostat problems, overheating due to the fan/fan switch senser, leaking coolant pipes or hole in rad.

There are loads more.

If the problem is not found and the head gasket is fixed the problem will occour again

Steve

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mines a 200 1400 8 valve i changed it about 13 months ago no the useless heap has gone again i think. I know rover changed the design i know why they i work for MGRover and i know it,s not common on the zr's for them to go but i have know the zs's to blow head gaskets
sorry for the rant but i'm a little bit pi***D off coz it's goning to cost about £150 in parts alone

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no eaxctly the same the engines are exactly the same apart the inlet manifold and mines missing 8 valves

·
Registered
20 Posts
harry234 said:
mines a 200 1400 8 valve i changed it about 13 months ago no the useless heap has gone again i think. I know rover changed the design i know why they i work for MGRover and i know it,s not common on the zr's for them to go but i have know the zs's to blow head gaskets
sorry for the rant but i'm a little bit pi***D off coz it's goning to cost about £150 in parts alone

Why will it cost that much in gaskets if you work for MGR ?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the last time i did it it was £75 in parts but i didn't have the head skimmed and it'll want other bits and pieces thats if it has gone, checked it everyday this week not lost a drop of coolant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts