MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant get them out. Really corroded, just fall apart when you try to undo them... even with a flat head. Any tips how to get them out? ive already tryed soaking them in a loosening agent and giving them a shock.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
You need a proper impact driver ideally with the right sized bit.

If thats no good get a small chisel and drift the bu88ers out.

Remember to use copper slip and don't tighten the new ones up too much so you can get them out next time.

If all of this is no good you will have to drill the buggers out. you may find that by taking the head of the screw off it may loosen it up enough to remove it.

If the worst comes to the worst once you have drilled out don't bother refiting the screws, they don't really do anything as the studs and wheel nuts hold the discs in place.

·
Rover Owner
3,488 Posts
I just tend to drill them out if they're too tight to undo them with reasonable force and a screwdriver....don't spend too long working at them as has been said they only locate the disk to make refitment of the wheel easier, other than this they're not needed.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
mine were a bitch aswell when i was removing them for my turbo conversion, i used a centre punch and a small hammer to knock the screws round, completely mangled them, but it did the job as the threads werent seized. it was just the head of the screw seized to the disc, so once id mashed the head of the screw, they came out no problem :)

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
borrowed an impact driver today. came off with a few beats! quite handy things impact drivers!

went to change my disks, and i couldnt remove the 17mm bolts that hold the caliper to the swivel hub. hmm. Hammer on the spanner did feck all too. argh wtf. i hate things like this lol. need leverage!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.