MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of new pads. Had the greenstuff pads on my old 105, didn't notice much difference.

Been told by a local performance guy that for the TD i'd be able to use the redstuff pads (normal not ceramic ones) because the td is heavy.

Is this true or are they not gonna heat up fast enough to work.
I do lots of motorway driving and brake from high speeds without using my gears!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Would stick with Greenstuff, EBC only recommend Redstuff for cars over 200 bhp, or those which are frequent trackday goers.

Steve

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've now been told by the rep at EBC that I should use the redstuff ceramic pads as they work from cold and cope with high speed braking

·
Registered
890 Posts
staccato said:
I've now been told by the rep at EBC that I should use the redstuff ceramic pads as they work from cold and cope with high speed braking
You'll find it the oposite, you have to get redstuff hot before they start working properly. They'll change the wear status too - using redstuff pads, you'll find it'll start to wear out your disks faster.
Steve

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You have 200 bhp on tap Steve, so you should use redstuff anyhow.

Seriously mate I would go for greenstuff and redstuff on a lower powered car may never get hot enough to work properly.

Steve

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Steve B said:
You have 200 bhp on tap Steve, so you should use redstuff anyhow.

Seriously mate I would go for greenstuff and redstuff on a lower powered car may never get hot enough to work properly.

Steve
shurley it isnt dependant on engine size but at the speed decellerating from/ frequency of heavy braking?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Correct Hob

More powerful cars generally accelerate quicker and hence will probably require better brakes. A lower powered car will not accelerate as fast in a given time, and generally will not need as good a set of brakes to slow down.

If you leave your braking to the last minute then redstuff will be even worse when you first go to use them as they will not be heated up and you will hit something.

The more powerful the car the faster it is driven generally, hence the need for better performing brakes. Greenstuff can overheat with a 200 bhp+ car, but on a TD they won't as the car will not get to the speeds to cause this to happen. They will slow the car before enough heat is generated for them to start failing, it is all about kinectics.

Steve

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve B said:
Correct Hob

More powerful cars generally accelerate quicker and hence will probably require better brakes. A lower powered car will not accelerate as fast in a given time, and generally will not need as good a set of brakes to slow down.

If you leave your braking to the last minute then redstuff will be even worse when you first go to use them as they will not be heated up and you will hit something.

The more powerful the car the faster it is driven generally, hence the need for better performing brakes. Greenstuff can overheat with a 200 bhp+ car, but on a TD they won't as the car will not get to the speeds to cause this to happen. They will slow the car before enough heat is generated for them to start failing, it is all about kinectics.

Steve
Yeah I understand what you're saying cheers steve.

It's weird how the EBC rep said to use the ceramic redstuff. I did tell him my car and the BHP too, and he suggested the ceramic redstuff.

Probably just because they're more expensive.

I'll have a go with greenstuff again then

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
staccato said:
Probably just because they're more expensive.
definitly in their eyes more money - better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.