MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to start building up a Green and Black theme with my current 120. Its anthractie and I plan to paint calipers as close to Xpower green as possible.

Which neons should I buy and where from?

Id like to have a separate switch, but at the same time, want them to come one and off in tune with interior light.

How many can I run before it gets too much, I was thinking one in each footwell, and two in the boot, but Id be happy with just the footwells.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
easy mate can be wired up to the interior light sensor and a switch to control them too

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
easy mate can be wired up to the interior light sensor and a switch to control them too
Not wanting to cause an argument or anything but wiring up to the interior light sensor wont work.

The door pins that control the lights and put them on are not powered they are simply an earth switch.

The interior light is always live and the only earth on the light is the internal earth that allows you to turn the light on independently of the ignition.

The interior light coming on and the dimming down and turning off is all done by a multifunction unit.

The door pins just send a signal to the MFU and that turns the light on. To dim it down all it does is increase the resistance on the line which causes the light to dim but there is always a very slight residual current (ask anyone that has used LEDs in thier dome light....they normally stay on with a dim glow).

Having said all that it is possible to have neons come on with your door lights but it is not as straightforward as first seems.

If you want any help let me know. (if you want to see what sort of lighting effects I have got on my ZR, click my signature block which should take you to my web gallery and movies)

To avoid any possibility of overloading the circuit, I would incorporate a relay triggered by the interior lights. The relay would then supply the power (through a fuse and a switch if necessary) to operate your neons. Having a relay would also ensure that the power to the inverters is turned off fully rather than leaving a current running through them which could eventually burn them out earlier and/or run your battery down more.

Have you thought about LED's? The reason I ask is that Neons are quite fragile, draw a lot of power, need inverters, take a while to 'warm up' have a relatively short lifespan and the inverters dont like the 'dirty' voltages you get on cars.

LEDs will handle fluctuations in power easily (but wont handle over-voltages) often are cheaper, can also be had in a range of colours and effects, are smaller, stronger and use a tiny fraction of the power of neons as well.

I get a lot of my stuff from www.litewave.co.uk

Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and customer advice/service. Beware of a lot of the cheap imports from China you see on fleabay. Many are only using resistors for the stabilization and are only rated to 12V DC (most cars run at 14V DC with the engine running due to the alternator output)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
oh interesting learn something everyday, i had a led in my door light and it always did have a slight glow never new what it was, easy to wire up but the led god said it cant work so it cant lol.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
oh interesting learn something everyday, i had a led in my door light and it always did have a slight glow never new what it was, easy to wire up but the led god said it cant work so it cant lol.
Never said it cant be done, just said it wasn't straightforward due to the way that the interior light is controlled and incorporated into the alarm system as well.

On a lot of cars, the door pins are live and make the circuit to power the interior light, but with the ZR, they are just trigger circuits for the alarm/MFU.

Have a look at the wiring diagram and you will see that there are 3 lines and none of them are earths, the only earth lines are the door pins which are connected to the MFU directly and not the light! Makes it difficult to wire a light in series as it will always be live, so you end up having to wire them in parallel or use a relay in parallel as a trigger.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
mint..... THATS AN UNDERSTATEMENT !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Don't get neons. Will make you look like a ***.

And if it's proper neons then bye bye battery life.

If you wanna be said **** then go for LEDs.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Do you know what? I never realised that fitting LEDs and Neons to my car would make me homosexual. Must remember to tell my wife that earth shattering fact. She needs a good laugh at a small minded imbecile! I always thought it was people driving in good weather with fog lights on that were gay but looks like I have been proven wrong.

Now where is my Pink shirt and Diana Ross LP's?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Do you know what? I never realised that fitting LEDs and Neons to my car would make me homosexual. Must remember to tell my wife that earth shattering fact. She needs a good laugh at a small minded imbecile! I always thought it was people driving in good weather with fog lights on that were gay but looks like I have been proven wrong.

:whip: Spot on! :headbang:

·
Registered
3,296 Posts

Hehe :smile2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts