MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the weight of a zr an issue ?

iv herd its quite a heavy car for a 1.4

if its true, what are the best ways of getting the weight down ?

becuase lighter is faster :)

cheers ,

marc

·
7,920 Posts
its not that heavy, modern cars are like Golf heavy, and there tanks

to make any decent gains from your weight reduction, you need to be losing 100kgs IMO, which is damn hard. Anything less than that and your losing alot of function for little gains.

i.e. dont bother stripping out ur AC, sound system, back seats etc, unless you know you will lose a decent bit, as you just end up removing alot of function from the car, with little gains. and yes, I have done this before

·
7,920 Posts
1050kg, then ur 105 has 98bhp per tonne
950kg, then ur 105 has 108bhp per tonne

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
idont have AC, so theres a bonus :)

and theres a weight bridge ar my girlfriends farm, im gona take my car on it next time im there.

but i know a guy who has a saxo, thats completley track, its just bare metal i nthe back and he hates it, he said its too loud, but the car shifts. so i suppose its one thing or another really, comfort or speed.

not that a zr 1.4 is gona be much quicker like lol

·
GOT OWNED BY THE LAW
2,253 Posts
it's pretty light for a 1.4

but yeah stripping more weight will help a lot, it's all about power to wight ratio

Forestfighter on here has a stripped out zr rally car and people who have been in it say it flys :D

Edit: As for getting weight down, strip out the interior (remove front seats, all door cards, all sound deadening, roof liners, roof plastics, dashboard, light weight alloys, perspex windows etc)
yes it does bloody fly but his has been modded running 130bho or summit ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
You could start by taking out the single heaviest item there is in the car... The engine? :thumbsup:

I don't think there'd be much weight savings to be had unless you're willing to only have the two front seats and pretty much nothing else.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Remove any weight over the axle, anything that is hanging over either the front or rear axle is bad.

If you move the weight to behind the axle and distribute it properly it will be better than just unbolting "stuff".

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
remove all vowels from all posts...they are just dead weight these days anyway :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts