MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being fully synthetic, will this change the grading i.e;

I currently use Mobil 1 Super, which is 10w/40, but for Mobile 1 Fully synthetic I have been recommended 0w/40.

I presume this is better for starting, but how doe's this compare to 10w/40 on a long run?

I normally change my oil and filter every 2-3000 miles, thought I'd go fully synthetic as Ive heard that it goe's well with the K-Series?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
i heard that 5W40 semi-synthetic was best but ive got a 160 and i cant remember where i heard that from, and it might only apply to the 160 i dont know... either way its friggin expensive lol

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
not seen many places that sell 0W40 haha

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Halfords sell 0w/40

The thinner oils are apparently better in K’s with hydraulic tappets – the VHPD one has mechanical valve actuation so doesn’t need the lifters pumping up in a morning. The downside is that it sounds like a sack of spanners at low RPM!
I would just go for a fully synth 10w/40, its just i can't find one off the shelf..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have personally used 0w-40 on the k series, no problems, and that was with 15k between an oil change :)
Cheers, which engine was this?

Oh, i forgot, mines a 1.4 mk2 zr.

The main reason im thinking of going for a thinner oil, is that it might eliminate the rough sounding start up?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
mine was the 1.8, but it wont matter mate :)

it may solve ur rough sounding start up woes, but there are no gaurantees, and i think the reason why you cant find a 10w/40 fully synth is because fully synth oils are generally thinner, i could be wrong though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts