MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I drove from camp xmas day evening and drove 260 miles 2 newcastle then dropped a mate off and headed back down the A1 to middlesbrough, the fuel was getting low and I was slightly worried but there wasn't a warning light comming on, 35 miles out of home the bastard dies on me, THEN the warning light comes on telling me theres no fuel..

IS THAT NORMAL??!!!!!!!

Luckily I had a 5 litre can of petrol in the boot to save my ass and I crawled about 40 miles on that doing 40mph :)

IF THAT ISNT NORMAL THEN IM TAKING THIS TO THE DEALERS

·
1,443 Posts
I wasn't aware the ZR had a fuel warning light.

They certainly never on pre 52 models.

Was it an addition in future models?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
there are only 4 warning lights on the ZR that i can think of Engine, Oil, airbag and hanbrake, unless you have ABS then there is the ABS light

·
1,443 Posts
It was probably your engine management light as that fault will now be logged within your ECU.

Did the car start again straight away or was it mis firing?

·
1,443 Posts
You'll have a mis firing fault logged on the ECU.

I done exactly the same. When i got the ecu chipped the operator showed me the logged fault and cleared it.

ECU's are clever things and MG may hold it against you if they investigate in the event of a major warranty claim.

I also had an engine rpm exceedance fault and he cleared that too. Previous owner probably changed from high 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th.

·
1,443 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it mate. Its just a logged fault, they should clear it on your next service.

Thats if MG hook up to your diagnostic port. I doubt if they do.

G

·
I think they changed the light for this radical new device. Sits on the right of the dash and has a cool indicator. When it points to the top it means there is loads of fuel left and when it points at the bottom it means there is none left. Even got a red area on later models to show it is time to visit a garage and get some more.

Great idea and much more accurate than a light :twisted:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Light Sabre said:
I think they changed the light for this radical new device. Sits on the right of the dash and has a cool indicator. When it points to the top it means there is loads of fuel left and when it points at the bottom it means there is none left. Even got a red area on later models to show it is time to visit a garage and get some more.

There's ALWAYS one smart arse aint there ...............Cheers NIC !!!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
on the topic of ecus.How do you reset ecu and if you do it does it cause any problems?.Would there be any problems afterwards like your car running like shit,or does it readjust itself again and just clear error codes
thanks guys!

·
1,443 Posts
Normally if you disconnect the battery for 1/2 hr the ecu should reset itself.

Your correct the ECU will readjust itself and the car will run fine. I'm not to sure on whether that will clear fault codes however.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Light Sabre said:

Hey ur really funny u know that? IT WAS F**KING XMAS DAY AND HARDLY ANY GARAGES WHERE OPEN !!!

G

·
Dont get much warning with these Christmas day type things. Have a habit of creeping up on you so you dont know when they are coming and can fill up before hand

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did u not read the f**king 1st message i wrote?

i did say i drove 260 miles so yes i did topup 2 days before xmas and i topped up the spare can in the boot - so what the fuck u talking about all i wrote the topic on was does the warning light not come on 10 or so miles before it runs out i thought i had a problem so stop taking the piss

G

·
Ok sorry. Dont get a sense of humour failure there was nothing malicious meant.

There is no warning light as I guess MG-R consider the fuel gauge warning enough. I was just following along on that tact

Jeez!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts