MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got the flywheel locking 18G 1742 tool which worked a treat when I used it before, but that was on a motor with the starter at the back, kind of under the ABS. I am now trying to do a cam belt on an 06 motor but it has the starter at the front under the air filter. what locking tool do I need for that as the one I have does not fit at all.
This is the one I have. & I cant seem to find any other type for the K series.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Is your existing tool for an R65 (1.1, 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines) or for a PG1 (1.8 petrol and 2.0 derv engines)?.

Rover 25/MG ZR built from July 2003 were fitted with a Getrag-Ford IB5 gearbox.

The Fords that it was fitted to all had provision for inserting locking pins into the crankshaft, and as far as I am aware, MG Rover never produced a dedicated locking tool for the IB5.

There are locking tools available from Laser which this seller on eBay is listing as suitable for both R65 and IB5: MG Rover 25 ZR 45 ZS Engine Locking Tool Set Cambelt Change Without PG1 Gearbox | eBay.

It is the same as this one (which is cheaper): LASER TOOLS 4523 FLYWHEEL LOCKING TOOL - ROVER | eBay. Does it appear to be any different from the tool you already have?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I already found one of those & have bought it. If you are correct & it turns out to be the same, then it will be sent back.
Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at this:

The key slot has gone oval. The is not a snowballs chance in hell I can time it up with this.
I also noticed that the key only stands proud by about 1-15mm, is that normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Yes, the 'peg' on the cambelt bottom pulley that the auxiliary drive belt pulley engages on is only quite low, but is really only to aid initial location - when the crank pulley bolt is tightened up to its 205Nm, there is no chance of it moving.

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about the damaged slot on the crank pulley (although it would probably be easy and cheap enough to buy a good condition second hand one from a breaker). The position of the crank pulley is only a problem when timing the cam belt with the pulley attached - with it off, you can set the cam timing using the two indented dots on the lower cam belt pulley, then re-attach the auxiliary drive belt pulley once everything is timed up correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts