MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am going to buy a new interior for my zed, a set of monaco seats with red inserts. The question I have is the following: Where should I go to get the original ones removed and these fit? Do you think I should go to the MG Dealer and ask them to do it, due to the airbag pretensioners and that kind of stuff.

I will be getting both front and rear seats. Does it take a lot to get them switched? Because I guess the dealer will charge me by the hour.
Thanks a lot for your help.

·
763 Posts
do you have air bags in your passenger seats?
i replaced many an interior and it isnt that difficult to do at all, the sub frames for the new seats shoud pop straight into the place of the old ones, then bolt the new seats onto the sun frames. took me about a day to change the whole interior in my last car and all the nylock star key bolts were stuck tight. MG would charge a small fortune £40 an hour labout i think

·
RIP ZR
15,287 Posts
My dad is going to be cheeky and get them to fit my new wheel for the next service...i guess you could give it a try with the service?Are you buying the seats off ebay by any chance?!Cos there is a set on there...just realised you live in Madrid though lol.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the seats on a scrappy in spain. I have to make a 3h drive though.but hey I've got a great deal 170 quid for them. Then I have my matrix green and red set almost sold for the same ammount.

I do have passenger airbag. Would you recommend me to go to the dealer? They told me they charge 27pounds the hour. I also have a leather steering wheel to fit, I guess I will take it together at the same time.

The trouble I've found is related to the airbags and that stuff under the seats.
What would you recommend me?

·
763 Posts
air bags are serious stuff, could save a life, go to the dealer but shop around for best prices

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah that is why i was considering on doing that, i have no clue on how that works so better take it to the dealer, but yeah kaser you'd better start saving for that

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,369 Posts
There is a wire to a sensor in the base of the front seats that is connected to the front seat belt pre-tensioners.

If you switch off the ignition and leave the car for at least 10 minutes to allow the airbag system to discharge, then disconnect the battery (negative first), you should be able to disconnect the wires under the seats without any danger of the pre-tensioners going off.

Once the new seats are fitted. connect the wires and reconnect thebattery - you will need your keyfob to switch off the alarm (which will sound when the battery is reconnected). You will probably have to reprogramme the settings in your radio as well.

Changing the seats is relatively straightforward, but take it to your dealer if you don't feel confident to do it yourself. (Do they really only charge £27 an hour in Spain - we get charged anything from £60 to £100 an hour in UK :x: ).

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i thought 27 pounds was quite expensive, cuz when i asked them if the would fit my new pedals, they told me "I will charge you by hours, 27pounds per hour" And on a tuning store they would fit them for 13 quid, so I started lauging and took off lol.

It might not be that expensive, but in that moment it seemed to me!

I think I will take it to the dealer. They can also fit my new steering wheel.

thanks for you help peeps

·
Registered
33 Posts
seats are a piece of cake mate, i changed mine in about an hour, 4 bolts on each front seat and 4 on the back if i remember right, but if your not to sure about stuff especially your steering wheel etc then your best to get a pro or a mate that knows what their doing to do it for u.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do it yourself! As said above, just disconnect the battery then it's simply a case of unscrewing the seats and swapping them over.

The rear seats are only held in by 3 nuts and bolts, and one to keep things straight! It really is easy. Just do it for yourself.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a mate and we are going to change them by ourselves. I am putting my new interior in mine and he is putting my old interior into his.

He told me it is not necessary to disconnect the battery. Is that a must do? Should I disconnect it or could the seats get changed with out disconnecting it?

I will be fitting them probably on thursday.
Thanks

·
455 Posts
dis connect it to be safe the control unit for the airbags is under the rear seat.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toocool said:
dis connect it to be safe the control unit for the airbags is under the rear seat.
so should i disconnect the control unit for the airbags or the battery? or both?

anyone has a small how-to-fit-new-seats-for-dummies?
or maybe some little hints from someone who has done it.

thanks ! :up:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did it recently, and only disconnected the battery (and left it for 30 mins to discharge). The rear seats are easy, fold them down and you'll see what needs to be loosened, as I can't describe it! Basically, there's a bolt that goes through a bracket to stop the seats from unclipping at the side. Then 3 bolts holds the base down.

The front seats are held on with 4 bolts each, needing a torx 50 to remove them. Unclip the seatbelt pretensioners and lift out.

Easy peasy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts