MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question keeps raising its head from time to time. How much is a first service?

Mine is due next month, even though it's only done 2K.

I rang all the dealers in my area for a quote and the prices ranged from £155 to £197.50 inc VAT.

Lot of money for an oil and filter change basically, especially after only 2 thousand miles, but if I dont get it done, then the warranty can be invalidated, so it has to be done.

I settled for Dixon's in the end, simply cos they were my supplying dealer at £159 inc. That way if I hit any more warranty probs, it should make the episode less traumatic hopefully. I did manage to blag a courtesy car as well, although that could be anything.

It does show there is an advantage to be gained from ringing around for quotes though, almost a 25% difference for the same job between dealers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
theres supposed to be a free service after 3k miles .... i know i have that for mines....aint made it to 3k yet though

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harry234 said:
i still think thats abit steep the dealer i work for charges £120 ALL IN
Yeh maybe. :x:

But what can ya do ? If it's not serviced, then the warranty can be invalid.

Prices must obviously vary according to the area you live in, but as I said, I rang every dealer in a 30 mile radius and they were all within fifty quid of each other.

I guess if I lived in London they would be substantially higher.

Dixons were second cheapest up here at £159. Eric Stead Rover (an independant) were cheapest at £155

So I elected to use Dixon's for the reasons I outlined previously.

·
Registered
146 Posts
surely if its the 1st service its ment to be free as its only changin the oil and filter

i cud understand that if it was the 10,000 service very odd

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st annual service is classed as a 15K service, 2nd annual is 30K etc, etc. Zeds have 15K service intervals

Regardless of actual mileage covered :x:

Only free servicing if ya got one of those deals that MGR were throwing about last year on 3 years free service/recovery etc. Or you have problems like Shifty did and get a free service as a good will gesture.

I nailed down a much better price on original purchase by not going that route.

LOL, I would still end up in front even I spend a grand on servicing over three years. :zip:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts