MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying my ZR, I debated about either getting a 160 or TD. I opted for the TD because I was much more interested in the mid range performance and I thought I could get the similar bhp figures.

Today, I had a rolling road session and the results are 157.4 bhp and 264.6 lbft of torque. Sadly, the clutch slipped on the RR.

Im pleased with the results, as I thought I needed a hybrid turbo or suffer loads of smoke to achieve +155 bhp.

Here is the graph

http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39966&d=1222536005

Power related modifications:

SDI Injectors
Remap
Open Cone Filter
Boost controller
Oil Catch Tank
FM Intercooler
De Cat
Back box

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
congrats buddy :)

how much did all the mods cost you in the end?

For these mods, they cost just under £1000

SDI Injectors
Remap
Open Cone Filter
Boost controller
Oil Catch Tank
FM Intercooler
De Cat
Back box

I spent £1500 on handling upgrades, i.e. coilovers, brakes, tyres and bushings and around £500 on servicing. I still need to spend another £500 to buy a new clutch, setup up the coilovers and another tweak to the remap. I also "waisted" around £300 on experimenting with different bits, but this is part of the game. Sadly, I still need to spend £500 to buy an uprated clutch, gearbox bearings, LSD and to setup the coiovers.

So, really we are talking about £3300, but it is a performance machine.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not bad mate at all wiht a few more tweaks you can go even better
Yes, there are a few more tweaks on the air side of things that I can do slightly better. I do have a bit of smoke, so I am delivering even more fuel.

It is worth saying that the car is at risk of gearbox, engine and fuel pump damage. However, I did spend a lot of time and effort in doing it safely, by keeping the torque figures down, as this is the primary killer.

To compare, there as a Rover 25 with a similar setup to mine, but without a FMIC, freeflowed manifold, oil catch tank that was running the same torque figures (265 lbft), but only achieved 143 bhp. So, I was able to get another 14 bhp with the same torque output. To me, this was the biggest achievement.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
What kind of boost pressure
Are you running? I may be worthwhile updating your turbo as I'm sure it won't be too long before it starts to wear the bushes and take out the seals.

Well done though, haven't checked over the graph, but sounds like your on top of things, n in comparison to a 160, your power band will be huge!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of boost pressure
Are you running? I may be worthwhile updating your turbo as I'm sure it won't be too long before it starts to wear the bushes and take out the seals.

Well done though, haven't checked over the graph, but sounds like your on top of things, n in comparison to a 160, your power band will be huge!
For the run, I ran 20.6 psi, which is a bit high. I cranked it a bit just before the run. I will turn it down to 19 psi before I start stressing the turbo.

I was in the market for a turbo, before the run. However, I think the car really needs to be detuned a tad for the sake of reliability. From what I have seen with other modified l series, cars that are over 150 bhp start having nasty engine problems. I have put in a number of pre-cautions to reduce the stress on the engine, however I did loose my clutch and tires due to the torque figures.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
A great achievement I must say but as you said needs detuning for reliability as I would be scared of failures with your current setup but well done for trying something different.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all the encouragement.

My remapper, Matt Reidy, think +160 bhp is possible with my current setup. However, with a hybrid 2 turbo he thinks 190 bhp is realistic with the sdi injectors and without the need of modified injectors. This is really a huge change in thought, because we previously thought that a remap and sdi injectors would get around 145-150 bhp.

I do have to say that it is really not my effort, but Matt's effort in contineously refining the remap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.